Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

Then

"It is bloody freezing!" Luke whined as he hugged himself behind the wooden crate that we were stood by in the alleyway.

"You are getting twenty quid for this!" I cried back. "Come on, we only have an hour to go."

Sure it was November and I was cold myself but we didn't have long to go and we were doing Stanley a favour. It was Friday night as well and there had been a load of traffic coming in and out.

There was good business, we could see them from across the road going in and out of the warehouse to get their goods. I know it was shady stuff but I wasn't completely sure what it was they were selling. Stanley said we didn't need to know yet so I was bidding my time.

It was probably something like weed – that wasn't bad. I know loads of people who do weed.

"But is it worth it?" Luke questioned, a moody look on his face. "We do this four nights a week."

I scowled, he could be more respectful. "I got you a job Luke, I don't know why you are complaining. We will eventually move up and Stanley is training us to fight. We are all really good at boxing now."

"I know-"

"Shhh!" Jay whispered from the mouth of the alley. "Something has happened!"

Luke and I ran to where Jay was – all six eyes watching the warehouse from across the road. I had the phone in my pocket ready to press the number 1 which will automatically ring Stanley for us. It only had one number in the phone which was his so that if anything went wrong we could contact him.

"Like what?" I asked. Did he need us to go in there? Was that what he was implying?

"I heard a load of shouting." He told us. "It sounded intense. I'd ring Stanley."

Luke nodded his head in agreement and I did think about it. We were told specifically to ring him if anything happened but what if Luke had a point? Something had to change for us to move up in the ranks. We couldn't stay like this forever just watching the warehouse.

"Just listen a bit more." I advised. A loud crash came from across the road. I covered my ears and shut my eyes instinctively at the sudden noise. What the fuck was that?

I pried my eyes open to see the third floor window smashed and a chair laying in the middle of the road. From the now broken window, you could see three people surrounding one person. "Wait, is that Rhys?" I could see the face from one guy as the street light reflected onto his face. He appeared to have a scar running down his right cheek and black hair.

Jay squinted his eyes to see better. "Yeah it is."

"He looks cornered!" I cried. "We need to go and save him!" I grabbed the phone and pushed it into Jay's chest.

"What? Stanley told us to stay here!" He protested as I moved into action.

"You ring him and Luke and I will go and help him before he ends up like the chair! This is dangerous Jay, we can't just leave him!" Stanley had spoken so much about how you never leave someone behind unless you had to but looking up there, we could help him. I knew I could throw a decent punch and from what Rhys did to Jay a few months back, he can too.

Luke looked scared and a little unsure, his eyes darting up to where Rhys was but he stood by me regardless, showing his loyalty. I will thank him later for taking my side. "He is right Jay. Just get Stanley over here as soon as possible."