Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

-Past-

   It had been a week since Jay had introduced me to his Uncle and I still did not know how to react. Apparently, I was invited to his house for tea tonight and although I did not want to go, I was also kind of curious.

   I mean, this man was probably very dangerous, or that was what I got from the last meeting and here he is inviting me to his house for tea. I am almost certain that we will not be having any tea that he has cooked.

   Plus, he knew how to get blood out of clothes and he knew a lot. He had all sorts under his kitchen sink that would get dry or wet blood out. Not even my grandmother knew how to get blood out! When I fell off my bike a few years ago and went head first over the handlebars I was covered in the stuff and instead of getting the blood out, the t-shirt went in the bin because, and I quote, 'no one can get blood out, the top is ruined'.

   When I got back home no one was any wiser. My grandmother had no clue that I had been in a fight and my grandfather was fast asleep on his old, battered chair in front of the television. Zak was out with his friends and Lexi was helping my grandmother cook – or at least she was crying because she was not actually allowed to help.

   I had never felt the relief rush from my body as fast as when it did when I stepped through that front door last week.

   Another thing was the fact that Megan had not been in. Like, she had not been seen at all. English was shitter than normal and life was getting worse.

   Everyone at school who once talked to me and had a laugh just avoided me completely. All I had really were Jay, Luke and a few of the others but there were not many. Even a fucking teacher noticed and asked if I wanted to talk about it! I mean, it isn't like they had all heard of the fight already.

   What pissed me off was that hardly anyone from my year had seen anything and all they had heard was what the upper years had told them and then it had been exaggerated beyond belief to the point where I had 'had my ass handed to me and did not even get one shot in!'.

   I used to be one of the popular ones in school and now they all thought I was weak. I had been trying to explain that I had been tag teamed but it didn't seem to matter, all they cared about was what the older ones said because they were the coolest. I had been pushed out by my own year group and the only person who I wanted to explain it to was Megan.

   Megan was the one I had to tell the truth to, if she saw me as weak as well then she would never go out with me. She used to date Cameron, who was right hard so she would never go for someone like me.

   It was all bullshit!

      "Are you coming then?" I nodded my head as Jay and I began walking across the car park to where a car was.

   "Where is your Uncle?" I questioned with a frown on my face. It was just some shitty car now, nothing like last week and I wanted to be seen getting into it to try and build up my popularity again.

      "Oh, he is busy so he has sent Rhys to pick us up."

      "Rhys? Is that the younger guy who was there last week?"

       "Yeah, but don't worry about him. Rhys is one of the weakest guys in the gang. He's twenty but I bet you could take him easily." Jay replied with a smirk.

   I unconsciously squared my shoulders as I put my bag in the boot. Jay and I got in the back, my eyes keeping faced forward.

   "Are you okay Rhys?" Jay asked as he leant between the two front seats.