Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Now

I took the paper bag off the shop assistant and made my way out of Burton. I had only bought one pair of jeans with me, all my shirts were in the washer when I set off from my flat in Kingston so I couldn't bring any with me, just the one on my back.

I hadn't even spent much which wasn't too bad. It didn't help that I was paid two week ago and my next wage was going to be down by two weeks so it will be all going on my rent and a bit of food shopping. My wage was hardly anything to write home about as it is and when you have a car and a small flat, bills go before anything else.

To be fair, if I had the time I would have just gone home and picked some up.

I stood at the crossing waiting for the green man to light up. Scanning my eyes over the dozen or so people waiting at the crossing with me, I paused. Was that? I shook my head, no it couldn't be... could it?

She turned her head around to get her hair away from her face due to the wind. Damn! It was. What were the bloody chances of me walking into her on some random street in the city?

Squaring my shoulders, I stepped around an old couple to stand next to her and tapped her on the shoulder. She whipped her head around and glared at me like I was some homeless person daring to ask her for a bit of change.

Her eyes widened when she realised who it was and she took a bright green earphone out from her multiple earring clad ear. "Jamie?" She cried. She didn't show much else on her face so I couldn't tell if she was shocked, mad or happy to see me. Her blue eyes were just as round as saucers and her mouth parted open like a fish.

I nodded my head to confirm it was who she thought. "It is." I replied with relief. It felt good to see her. I had not seen her in three years - since I disappeared actually - and when I used to hang around with her, it was cool. Sure, she used to be screechy and she was always that one friend who annoyed the crap out of all the lads but she could be hilarious.

Her facial features suddenly twisted into pure madness, I saw her hand flying in the direction of my face so I caught her hand just before it made contact. With the talons on the end of her nails, that would have done some serious damage.

I kept hold of her wrist, attracting the unwanted attention of a few onlookers. "What the hell was that for?" Had I done something to her? I mean, I know I didn't go to the... you know what? She doesn't have a reason, that intended slap was totally uncalled for.

"Don't try that again." I warned as I let go of her wrist. I wasn't being slapped for any reason – especially in the city. Any unwarranted attention was not welcomed.

Her face stayed in its twisted manner, her blue eyes narrowed into slits as she glared at me. The green man lit up and everyone else who was waiting began to cross. She had obviously decided she didn't care because she stood rooted on the spot.

I began to move around her and it was then that she realised that we should cross.

She whipped her tiny frame around and stomped across the road. What was her deal? I never thought too much of her when we were kids but as we grew older I could tolerate her more. I genuinely had not done anything to her!

Once we had crossed the road, she turned left – the same direction that I was going in. Once we made it to the end of Princess Road, she turned right – again, the same was I was going. I tried to stay as far back as I could because I did not want to come across as creepy.

She turned her head as she turned left and saw me. "Why the fuck are you following me?" She sneered.

I rolled my eyes, "And why would I do that?" I replied, my voice rough and low. We were stood outside of a car park and it was fairly obvious – at least to me – that we were parked in the same place.