Chapter 27

Liandro

His usual raspy voice answered the phone, my heart going crazy when I heard him speak—millions of butterflies flying inside of my stomach. I had no intention of calling him at all. But when his grandma told me that he was a mess, I fully decided to do so.

I have been writing to him, so why would he tell me I haven't written anything back? One of the reasons why I didn't want to call him was because I knew I would feel the emotions I'm feeling right now.

"No!" He shouted, making me laugh. All my thoughts were pushed away when he deeply chuckled.

-

After a lot of convincing, I finally got Alex to agree to celebrate his birthday with us. We have been talking on the phone for a two days, casually avoiding asking questions about our relationship. This was it, I was going to see him again. I already prepared myself for the worst case scenarios. All I had to do was act like nothing happened. What an easy task.

The penthouse was filled with party decor courtesy of me. His grandparents and my father was there. I didn't want my father to do anything stupid so I stood in front of him. Alex and his parents was supposed to arrive ten minutes ago. What's taking them so long?

A lot of big gifts were by the fireplace, while mine was just in a medium sized box. We were all talking to each other when the door bell rang. Shit.

All of my mental preparations were completely forgotten when I locked eyes with him. The same blue eyes, the same hazel hair, and the same plump lips were the first things I noticed.

His under eyes were dark, he looked more slim, and his usual enthusiastic character was gone. There was a silence that caved in when everyone in the room noticed. What happened to him?

"Happy birthday" The words fell out my lips, breaking the silence. "Thank you, Liandro" He answered, the mention of my name sending shivers down my spine. Our connected gaze was cut off when my father popped the confetti. Everybody was surprised as we all laughed. They started greeting Alex a happy birthday, hugging him and shaking his hands until it was my turn to approach him.

We were so close to each other, all I wanted to do was hug him. I sighed and put a crown on his head, brushing his hair with my fingers. "20 looks good on you" I looked at him and smiled. My dad went to talk to his father after he greeted him.

Turned out my father was one of my dad's employee until they moved out.

"Dinner is ready, everybody" Isabella remarked as we made our way to the big table. The food wasn't fancy—Alex's request. I had bought four boxes of pizza and cooked spaghetti. I was afraid that they wouldn't like my cooking so I looked down as soon as they started eating. Alex was sitting to my left on the birthday chair with a crown sitting on his head.

"Tastes good" Alex said, everyone agreeing. I couldn't stop the blush creeping up my face, making him chuckle. His parents looked beautiful together. Now I know where he got his genes.

His mother kept looking at me like I was not invited, casually getting a nudge from her husband. "So, Liandro. How did you end up here in New York again?" Her mother asked, though she looked like she already knew the answer.

"I ran away" I answered, catching Alex's family off guard. "Not now, Alexandra" Isabella stated as she looked at her with a glare, a side of her I've never seen.

"His stepmother was evil. That's why" My dad backed me up. I placed my hand on his knee, signaling him to stop. My head tried to keep it out, but memories of Melissa flashed.

I shook my head and continued on drinking champagne. Alex looked at me with concern while I pressed my tongue to my inner cheek. The next few moments were silent until Alex spoke. "I've decided to move back here" My eyes flicked to him.

"Don't tell me it's because all of this expensive stuff" His mom dropped her fork to the plate.

"Or is it because of him" She looked at me with her piercing black eyes. "Enough!" Ed shouted and crashed his hands to the table, making her walk out of the room. Alex stood to follow her, but his dad insisted in doing so. Alex looked at me while I stared at my plate, fighting the urge to breakdown. He sat back down and reached for my hand and placed his atop of mine.

"We're going home" My dad stood up and said his goodbyes. "Dad, please" I stood up and placed my hand on his shoulder. He sighed and sat down again. The dinner went on with awkward silence. His parents haven't returned yet but Isa assured that everything will be okay.

The main course was done and it was now time for cake. I gulped another glass of champagne and headed to the kitchen where Alex followed. "Leo" He said from behind. "Happy birthday. I baked a cake for you" I said, not wanting to hear what he has to say. I tried to open the fridge but he stopped it. I turned my body to him and crossed my arms.

"What?" I said, irritated. "Can we talk?" He asked. "We already are" I answered. He shook his head and continued. "I'm sorry. For everything" My heart beat like crazy as the emotions I have hidden suddenly escaped.

I turned around once again to open the fridge. "I wasn't—" I cut him off and faced him, "Stop making it harder for me!" I yelled not caring if they heard it.

"What if I killed myself?" I asked. "You wouldn't do that" He said back. "I already did it once" I crossed my arms to my chest. "It was all a lie" He stated as if it was a fact. Confusion clouded me. What is he talking about? "I did that for you. I did that so you wouldn't have to deal with me everyday" He paused, tears rolling down his eyes. "Freeing you seemed to be the right thing to do" He stopped.

I could see the regret in his eyes. I wanted to comfort him and ask him why he thought leaving me would make me feel better. I asked myself where and what I did wrong for Alex to come up with that decision on leaving me, every single night.

"You deserve someone better than me" He looked up at me from his kneeling stance. "You were right. I was just like them" He added and walked away. I followed him outside the kitchen where everyone stood. He grabbed his coat and left the penthouse. I looked at my father for reassurance then to Isa and Ed, they all nodded as I made my way out too.

"Alex" I grabbed his hands before he could enter the elevator. He didn't stop though, forcing me to join him in the elevator. The elevator closed and only Alex catching his breath could be heard.

As soon as the elevator closed, he pushed me to the wall and kissed me. His hands cupped my cheeks, my eyes wide. I gave in eventually and moved my lips with his. The same feeling I felt whenever we touched, made my adrenaline rush. The kiss said all the things we couldn't. Made us feel every emotion there is.

The elevator dinged as we pulled away from each other. I looked at him, his eyes flicking to the open side where his parents stood. "How sweet" His mother walked backwards as we stepped outside the elevator.

"You're the reason why he's like this" She pointed towards me. She stood to her full height and stepped closer to me. Her eyes tormented me with such hate. She scoffed and walked away, her husband apologizing for her.

"Don't mind her" Alex suggested as he faced me and held my hands. I pulled them away and walked outside the hotel. I needed air, the park was the perfect place for that. After minutes of walking silently, him following behind, we finally sat on a bench.

I sighed whilst enjoying the scene and his company. Silence filled the air. I couldn't bring myself to face him. How could I face the man who I fell in love with and just act like we were friends?

"What happened to you?" I said, eager to avoid that topic. It was obvious that he wasn't happy like what he wrote in his letter. "I lost myself" He replied, eyes glued to the floor. All this time I thought the break up would benefit the both of us. "Because you lost me" I stated with a chuckle. What he did was so dumb. I didn't expect that he'd come up with that decision at all.

"You know. If we were meant to be, nothing in the world could make you leave. If you weren't, nothing in the world could make you stay" I said, sadness bubbling inside of me.

"That's why you'll always be my best friend" I added.