Ch. 7 - Ax

Thankfully the rest of the week I did not run into the professor anymore. Thank God because I don't think my heart could handle the emotional toll she put me through. It's like she made me feel every emotion all at once and it was exhausting and confusing. The gym incident was stressful enough that I just kept my mouth shut for the rest of the workout and hurried home. I was not going to risk angering the beast with my stupid comments again.

I also was curious as to why Isabel was here too. That family was bizarre, and I planned to avoid them like the plague.

"Nat!" I was awoken from my daydream when I saw Sam sit down next to me in the library.

"Hey, Sam" I smiled.

"You ok there buddy? It looked like you were totally out of it for a second."

"Huh? Uh yeah," I scratched the back of my head, "I guess I've just had a stressful week."

"Man do I get that," she sighed "we've all been on edge recently."

She grumbled under her breath "Those stupid vam-"

She stopped herself as if realizing that she was about to say too much but I pretended not to be able to hear her. I knew exactly what she was stressed about.

"Maybe we need one of our infamous Sam and Nat adventures to get our minds off our troubles?" I said.

"God, I need that," She groaned. "What did you have in mind?"

"Well...I kind of wanted to try out that new ax-throwing place?" Her eyes lit up in excitement.

"Nat I honestly don't know how I survived without you."

"You didn't!" I laughed.

"I'm pretty sure they have happy hour tonight too," I mentioned.

"Wait you're telling me we get to throw weapons and drink? Am I in heaven?"

------------------------------------------

"Where do you two think you're going?" We stopped in our tracks. We almost made it out the door. So close.

"It's never good when you two go out together." Emma stood there with her arms crossed looking at us expectedly.

"Wow hurtful," Sam pretended to be offended.

"Exactly you two always seem to get hurt when you're together!" Emma retorted.

"Well, you know what they say, 'sometimes you got to break a few bones to have fun,'" I said knowing full well I was just saying bullshit.

"Nat." Emma shook her head. "That is not even remotely close to being a saying," Emma stated.

"Whaaa that's crazy..." I said as Sam and I made knowing eye contact.

"RUN" Sam yelled as we bolted to the door.

Emma just yelled behind us "fine but don't come crawling back to me when you inevitably get hurt!"

We both yelled in unison "OK MOM!"

-----------------------------------------------

"I'm pretty sure I am getting better at this the more I drink," Sam told me.

"Either that or you can't see straight enough to know how bad you actually are!" I laughed.

"Oh please, you know I never see straight in general!" We both laughed.

"Speaking of which...you got your eyes on any special girls?" Sam asked wiggling her brows.

I laughed, "If I did you know I'd tell you first!"

"I still don't know how you're still single. I swear I see every gender checking you out!"

I mean I was pretty attractive. I was tall for a human...well I guess I'm not really a human. I had short dirty blonde hair that sat just above my shoulders. It was always a wavy mess, but it matched my laid back demeanor. I made up for that by always dressing well. If I could I'd wear a suit every day. And because I worked on computers all day, I was almost always wearing my nerdy blue light glasses. I had uniquely dark green eyes and a smile that made me look like a harmless puppy. If only people knew the dangers that laid behind that smile...

"Girl, are you sure you're not talking about yourself?" I joked.

"Well, I seem to always crush on the straight girls," she sighed.

"Yeah, you do really need to get a better gay-dar!" I laughed.

"At least I can go after them!" She rolled her eyes playfully.

"Hey...I could go after them too if I wanted to," I said quietly.

She burst out laughing, "Ha! Nat, you are such a bottom!"

"Hey, bottom's lives matter!" She just laughed harder, and I rolled my eyes.

"Oh yeah well you're about to lose to a bottom so I'd suggest you step your game up!" I grabbed my ax and threw it. I hit the bullseye and looked over and smirked at Sam.

She narrowed her eyes at me, "game on."