Ch. 14 - Library

I woke the next morning exhausted. I barely got any sleep because my mind would not stop ruminating about the circus that was yesterday. What the hell happened? When did my life get so complicated? I turned to look at my phone and I had a message.

Cari: Hey princess, how did you sleep?

God this woman has got me fucked up!

Me: As about as good as you could imagine...

Cari: I figured as much...what are your plans for today?

Me: Well, I have this horrible professor that assigned us an impossible topic to debate so I'm going to be spending my day at the library researching...

Cari: She sounds like a bitch!

Me: you can't even imagine

Cari: Well, why don't I take you out for lunch, since you're being such a good student!

I could hear the sarcasm and see the smirk on her face. But I'm not saying no to food!

Me: You might be not as horrible as I thought...

Cari: Meet me in my office at 1 pm

Me: Yes Ma'am!

Cari: *fire emoji*

I smirked. I like playing with fire.

-------------------------------------------------------

I had been researching in the library for hours and my eyes were starting to sting. The only thing that was keeping me awake was my coffee. If it was any other topic maybe it wouldn't be torture but I'd rather slam my head against the table. At least it distracted me from thinking about this mess I was in. Did Sabrina really like me? Was I going to give Professor Wright a chance? Could I trust anyone, let alone her? I was ruminating on all my problems when I was abruptly pulled from my thoughts when I heard a loud crashing sound followed by someone groaning.

If curiosity killed the cat, I should have been dead by now because I went towards the sound to investigate. To my surprise, I saw a man lying on the ground underneath a pile of books. I quickly reached down to get the books off of him.

"Hey, are you alrig-" I froze before I could finish my question. Vampire. You got to be kidding me! I go my whole life never seeing one and this is my third in only a month!

"I'm sorry you don't have to help me," he said shily. He did not look like a vampire at all. He had no sense of fierceness. At least nothing like Cari or Isabel. Those two looked like they could kill you with one look. This man looked like a teddy bear. His eyes were kind and soft. The only way you'd know he was a vampire was his golden eyes. He didn't look like he'd hurt a fly.

"No, no. It's alright I insist." I said, "Here let me help you up." I offered a hand. A kind smile grew on his lips. I pulled him up and he dusted himself off.

"I'm Joseph," he reached to shake my hand.

"Nat," I smiled warmly back and met his hand.

"So, Joseph, um what happened?" I asked furrowing my eyebrows. Could a vampire really be that clumsy to knock a whole shelf of books over?

"Well," he scratched the back of his head as if searching what to say, "I was just putting books away and it was as if out of nowhere the entire shelf of books fell and buried me underneath."

"That's weird...so you didn't knock it over?"

"I don't think so..."

Just then we both her a group of girls laughing manically staring directly at us. Witches. That explains it. But why target Joseph? He was just an innocent librarian. I instantly hated them. They looked like mean girls that just bullied those weaker than them.