Ch. 29 - Family

The room was silent except for my shaky sobs.
"Y-you don't know what you're asking for."

"They killed my mom in cold blood in our living room for the crime of having me. For the crime of loving me. For choosing love over hate." I looked into my mates eyes to see she was in pain just looking at me.

This was a story, a part of me, that I kept buried. Something that I never wished to remember but was always lurking in my brain. To share my story was to feel all that pain once again. But if they truly wanted in, they need to know the consequences were dire.

"My dad and I were out on a camping trip. He was teaching me all he could about turning as it was only my second full moon that I would shift. While we were setting up a fire for the night my dad hunched over in pain. I thought he was just shifting but something was off. He still was human. That's when he began to cry out in pain clutching his heart. I thought maybe he was having a heart attack but it was impossible. He was a werewolf he couldn't get a heart attack. That's when he uttered the words that shattered my world. My mate...she's dead."

"My dad quickly shifted into his wolf and took off towards our house. I was left running at my human speed. Tripping over rocks and tree branches due to my teary eyes blurring my vision. Finally when the full moon was out I shifted and I raced to catch my dad. But when I got to my house there was nothing but eerie silence. And no one to be seen. That's when I caught my mom's scent in the living room. I was just praying to any God that would listen that my dad was wrong. That I would run in there and see my mom smiling back at me. Asking how my day was but no I found my mom with a dagger in her heart in a pool of her own blood." I was now fully balling my eyes out struggling to finish my story. Choking on my own words.

"N-next to h-her....was a messaged carved into the wood floor. 'Found you.' It's a sight that still hunts my nightmares. My mother died trying to protect me. She always told me that I was the most important person in this world. That she loved me above all else. The bond between a mother and daughter is more powerful than that of a mate." I sobbed at the memory of my loving mother.

"I heard loud growls coming from my backyard and I rushed to find my dad fighting the wolves that murdered my mom. My dad always warned me that his pack would seek vengeance for his betrayal. For his crime of giving life to a weapon. There were already two wolves lying dead on the ground as my father was crushing the skull of another in his powerful jaws. Never underestimate a mate's vengeance. The last two wolves caught sight of me and immediately raced to attack me but my father was quicker. Hit bit one by the neck so hard that I heard his bones crush. The other got to me but I fought with all my might and it bought me enough time for my dad to finish the job. My father and I just stared at each other panting. My dad just killed his entire pack for love. We tried so hard to hide from them but in the end it wasn't enough. They would always find me and I lost my mom and he lost his mate."

"Days went by and my father was essentially a vegetable. He wouldn't eat or sleep, talk or get out of bed. His soul was gone and I couldn't bare to see him like that anymore. He was only holding on for me and it was selfish of me to keep him only for him to suffer. So one day I made the hardest decision of my life, I set a sliver dagger next to his bed and I told him he didn't need to hold on anymore. That I would be okay. I would live for him. For mom. He could let go."

"He smiled for the first time and looked me in the eyes and told me 'I have no regrets. Neither did your mother. You were worth it but I can't be of any help to you anymore on this earth, not like this. But never forget your mother and I will always be with you. I love you so much darling. Thank you.'

"My father technically died the the day mom mother died. He was broken and incomplete. But now so was I but I refused to give up because that's what everyone wanted and I wouldn't give them the satisfaction. I live out of spite."