Ch. 8 - Groups

Monday came back around much faster than I would have liked. It meant spending three hours as trapped prey of a sadistic vampire. At least I wasn't alone. My friends started to arrive and sit around me, I couldn't help but notice the difference between us and the rest of the class. Kyle, Dillan, Sabrina, and I looked like we were mentally preparing for war whereas the rest of the class seemed giddy. I overheard some students in the front row arguing over who got to sit closer to the professor's desk. I shook my head in disbelief. These humans are oblivious.

"I see you guys are trapped in hell too," Sabrina said to us while taking a seat next to me.

"Yeah, Nat couldn't switch either," Dillan sighed.

"I suppose that's what happens when the devil's sister is your academic advisor," Sabrina commented.

"I can't help but feel like we are trapped prey," said Kyle defeatedly and we all nodded knowing exactly the feeling.

"She does seem like she has it out for us," Liz admitted. Poor Liz. She probably would have just been ignored like every other human in the class if it wasn't for the fact that she was friends with me. I unknowingly put her in danger by adding her to a friend group of supernaturals with a target on their backs.

"She hasn't hurt you right?" Sabrina looked at her franticly.

"W-what no. I'm not blind and deaf though. I can see the way she looks at us and talks to us. It's like she likes to make us uncomfortable. I mean she's hot as hell, but I think the bitch is crazy!"

I chuckled. I loved Liz. She always knew how to lighten the mood when everyone was drowning in despair.

"What do you think she has planned for us today?" I asked my friends.

"I have no clue and I think that makes it worse. I think she knows that too," Kyle said.

"Quiet down playthings. Class is starting." Professor Wright sang with amusement as she walked through the doors looking directly at us.

The five of us all narrowed our eyes at her. She just laughed darkly. That's what we were to her. We were her entertainment. This was a game to her. Well, if it's a game she wants, game on.

"Now class let's start with the basics. What does Clausewitz define war as?" Professor Wright waited for an answer.

"An act of force to compel our enemy to do our will." A man in the front row chimed in.

"Very good! Someone did the readings."

He beamed at the praise, and I rolled my eyes. She caught this.

"Nat do you disagree" She smirked.

"No that's definitely Clausewitz's definition, it doesn't mean it's a good one though." I retorted.

"Oh?" She raised an eyebrow, "do you have a better one?" She smirked, clearly entertained by my willingness to dissent.

"I just think Clausewitz thinks that war means you're strong or that it's honorable. First, I don't know how honored you'd feel if you were forced to kill or be killed. In every war, there are people who have no choice but to fight. So maybe the definition can be revised to 'war is when you compel your people to fight your enemy so that you can compel your enemy to your will.' It's a little cowardly if you ask me. Secondly, physical strength does not make you strong."

"Ok...I agree with your first point but please elaborate on your second point." The professor asked honestly intrigued.

"Well, if I am stronger than someone, I can always threaten them or physically harm them to get them to do something I want them to do. That is war. But what if," I leaned in, "I never even had to lift a finger to get you to do what I wanted?"