Ch. 16 - Feelings

I looked at Joseph and he looked at me just as scared as I was.

"Joseph..." Isabel scolded her husband.

"What did you two do?" Cari said shaking her head and laughing a little.

I looked at Joseph asking him with my eyes to say something, but he looked at me pleading for me to go.

"Fine! Jesus, why am I always in trouble?" I said exasperated. Cari just smirked.

"I'll take care of it just tell me, sweetheart."

"Joseph was being well...bullied and I may have pissed off those bullies..."

Cari laughed "That's all!? Good, they deserved it and it saves Isabel from having to fight someone. That can get messy..."

"U-uh there's a little more to it," Joseph said timidly.

"What is it, baby boy? Why didn't you tell me?" Isabel softly asked him.

"I didn't want you to have to worry about me. It was nothing really...I was going to take care of it myself but well...I didn't really know how to stand up for myself. Nat helped." Joseph smiled at me, and I smiled warmly back. Isabel gave me a thankful look and Cari looked adoringly at me and it made me melt with happiness.

"Well, Nat found me under a pile of books and was kind enough to help me. It wasn't the first time that happened, but it was the first time someone helped me." I frowned. Why wouldn't anyone help him? He is harmless! "I didn't knock over any of the books...I never have..." Isabel and Cari looked at him with confusion. "It was as if they were magically knocked off." When Joseph emphasized the word "magically" both Isabel and Cari's eyes grew wide. They knew what this meant. And the good feeling is gone, now I'm in trouble...

"Nat," Cari said slowly, turning her head to look at me in the eyes, "what did you do?" She was speaking calmly, but I know she was worried.

"I-um," I stuttered nervously under her intense gaze, "well I found the culprit behind the books falling after she knocked over another shelf of books. I may have tripped...and spilled coffee all over her..." I looked at Cari as innocently as I could. Hoping she wasn't mad.

"I'm assuming she did not think it was an accident?" Cari said raising an eyebrow.

"No...considering I was...well myself," I said looking down now, afraid to meet her gaze.

"Oh, I know exactly how you can be," she chuckled a little, "I'm sure she was pissed."

"I mean she did say 'I had no idea who I was messing with' and I may have called her essentially an insignificant bitch. I don't think she was thrilled about that, but I walked away all the same..."

Cari just burst out laughing, "God I wish I could have seen her face!"

"So, I'm not in trouble?" I said hopefully.

"Oh no you two definitely are!" Isabel said, "Especially you Joseph! Why did you let Nat do that?"

"I was in shock! I didn't think she would do that!" he defended.

"Yeah, you kind of have to get used to Nat surprising the hell out of you... She bites back," Cari said winking at me and I got butterflies.

"Well, I can't stand bullies! Especially when they target my friends..."

"I know baby. I love how you stand up for others," Cari said with love touching my cheek. "But it's one thing to challenge me. Then to challenge others. I like the challenge and I'd never hurt you. I cannot say the same for others."

"I know." I looked down, "I let my emotions cloud my judgment." I prided myself on how well I could control my emotions but recently it's been my emotions digging my grave.

"Shh, baby it's okay. Just promise me that next time you come to me first and let me take care of it." Cari said gently. "Or at least Isabel" I looked over at Isabel and she smiled at me.

"Nat I am very grateful that you stood up for Joseph. It just makes me like you even more, but this is something Cari and I should handle. We take care of you two." She said warmly to Joseph and me. "It's safer that way."

Isabel and Cari were much stronger than me and if they were offering protection, I should take it but I didn't like feeling weak.

"I know you guys are right, but I can't promise I'm not going to keep standing up for myself and others. I'm tough too you know!" As much as I wanted to sound fierce it probably just sounded like a puppy whining.

Cari laughed, "Sweetheart you are very tough." She leaned and said with a smirk "But I'm tougher."

I laughed and rolled my eyes. "I could totally take you!" I put my arm on the table as if to arm wrestle. Everyone laughed.

Cari smirked and raised a brow, "Are you sure about that little one?"

She was about to grab my hand to wrestle before I bolted out of my seat and ran out the door yelling "See ya later losers!" I knew I wasn't going to win, and I did not want to give her the satisfaction of beating me. I heard them all laughing, and Isabel say, "she really is perfect for you, Cari." I smiled feeling so much love in my heart.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day I woke up content with life. I was really starting to like Cari. She challenged me but I challenged right back. She made me feel cared for in a way that I never felt before. I wanted her. In every way. But I refused to build anything without her knowing all of me, first. And she needed to come clean to me too. I knew she was a vampire, but she didn't know that I knew. We both had secrets we were too scared to share. But I also knew that we had something unique. Something almost magnetic.

But was I only being pulled to my death? Something deep inside me trusted her. I couldn't explain it but it's like I knew she couldn't even hurt me even if she tried. I remember my parents telling me about their bond. How they described it. It was as if it was unbreakable. Their souls were one. I mean they were mates. They were made for each other. They were willing to die for their love...

I was always kind of jealous of them. It was completely unfair that I had to spend eternity on earth without a mate. Every other supernatural species got one, but hybrids are barely supernatural. I mean some supernaturals had their mates reject them, especially if they were of different species but at least they got one to begin with!

It was depressing to tell you the truth. There was a small chance that I could have a mate, but I refused to believe it because I did not want to get my hopes up only to be let down. Just like a human, I could randomly be mated to a supernatural but the likely chances of that happening were so low that I barely gave it thought. I never heard of a hybrid being mated to a supernatural. It would be a mess. Kind of like how I feel now. Cari made me question everything. Why would I feel so strongly about her when I had every incentive to run? Nothing made sense.

Ding!

Sabrina: Hey Nat. Can we talk?

Oh great, I forgot about her...As much as I did not want to have this conversation with her, we need to be on the same page.

Me: Yeah, I think that's probably a good idea

Sabrina: Great, I really would rather talk in person. I need to go shopping do you want to come along?

Ugh, I'd rather just do this through text. What if she tries to make a move again? At least we would be in public...Cari probably would not like the idea of me and her hanging out alone either. But I'm definitely not having Cari come along to babysit me like I couldn't stand up for myself. Plus, I'm sure they would fight again. I just needed to bite the bullet and get this over with.

Me: Sure, I can do that. What time?

Sabrina: an hour? Do you need a ride?

I don't have a car but like I hell I'm getting in the car with her alone! Not after what almost happened in the bathroom. I'll walk if necessary.

Me: Yeah I'll be meet you at the mall in an hour, I don't need a ride but thank you!