The truant - Part 2 - Barney x Reader

So, I've been asked for a second part to this imagine for handywoman99. As I said before, this is not my area of expertise, and feel much more at home with guns and explosions. But here goes. Hope its ok

(Y/n) smiled as politely as she could as the principal and teacher left the house. The ex-marine sniper letting out a sigh of relief as they left in their cars. She knew that she shouldn't have eavesdropped. That despite her affection for Katie, and her relationship with Barney, it was really a family matter. And even though Barney had said that she would soon be a member of the family, (Y/n) had said that she wouldn't sit in on the meeting. But she had listened. Call it an ingrained instinct. Call it noisiness. Either way she had stood outside the door and listened.

(Y/n) could understand why the principal and Katie's teacher had been disappointed in the young woman's actions. The young Ross was a gifted girl, and it would be a shame to waste that talent on hanging around the local mall getting into all sorts of trouble. Yet (Y/n) could understand Katie's point of view too. She had been abandoned by her mother. Sent to a father she didn't know, that had a job that wasn't exactly what you'd call the normal 9 to 5. All her father's friends were in the same line of work. A line of work that could get them killed at any moment. And the only female that the young girl had to look to was (Y/n). A hard nosed ex-soldier whose job it had been, and continued to be, to kill people. And even for (Y/n), who never claimed to be an expert on parenting, that didn't seem like the best role model.

(Y/n) could also understand why Katie was rebelling. Why she was pushing her boundaries. She was becoming a woman. Not the best time in a girl's life to have to move and start at another school. To discover a father and the woman in his life, and try and find a place in their world.

(Y/n) had been an army brat. Never making friends because she knew that sooner or later, she would have to leave again. So, the sniper knew the difficulties of always being the new kid at school. Yet (Y/n) always had one thing to fall back on. One thing that she had worked to accomplish all her life. And that was the corp. She had been trained by her father from a young age to meet the requirements to enter the Marines. To be one of the few women to know the pride of wearing that uniform and having Semper fidelis, always faithful, tattooed on her skin. And as (Y/n) made her way back into the house, she determined to give Katie the same kind of support that as she had felt in the Marines. And still felt as part of the Expendables.

"Well?" (Y/n) heard Barney ask from the other side of the door. The sniper rolling her eyes as she knew that a father, daughter talk was going to ensue. (Y/n) sure that Katie had already had enough of a dressing down for the day but also knew that it was better to let Barney get it out of his system now. And that this time she should probably leave them to it.

"What do you have to say for yourself?" Barney huffed. The big man trying not to get angry as his daughter just shrugged.

"Why did you ditch class? There must be a reason, dahlin?" Barney continued, as he took a deep breath and took a seat next to his daughter.

"Because I hate it. I hate it here. I hate you. I want to go home. I want to go back to my friends. I know you don't love me, that you don't want me here. You always leave. You're gone for weeks, and what's worse is that you take (Y/n) with you." Katie growled, as she got to her feet and made her way to the window. Trying to hide the tears that were threatening to fall.

Barney sighed. He knew he wasn't any good at this being a parent thing. He had had to look to (Y/n) for help every step of the way. Yet at this moment he was alone, and he knew that he had to man up.

"Katie. Come sit down." Barney said. Tapping the spot on the sofa next to him. Another sigh emanating from him as the young Ross stubbornly refused to move.

"Look. I know I'm not tha best at this. I'm too old, too stubborn, and too set in my ways. But I'm tryin. And none of that mean I don't love ya. I know it must be tough, to be sent from all you've know. But this is ya home now, and me and the others are ya family. I don't want ta leave ya, kid. But we have a job ta do. (Y/n) has a job ta do. But I always make sure that I bring her back to ya. I know that (Y/n) means a lot to ya, and that you mean a lot to her. And I am sure that she wouldn't want ya to leave." Barney told Katie. His daughter looking over at him as the big man looked down at the floor, and rubbed his hands together nervously. Hoping that some of what he was saying actually made sense.

"Ya too smart to ditch school, Katie. If ya keep doin it ya gonna turn out like me. Like Christmas, or one of the others. But if ya go to school you could be like (Y/n). Like Gunnar. No, wait.....skip Gunnar. Ya could be like (Y/n)." Barney chuckled, knowing that despite the big Swede's degree in chemical engineering and full bright Scholarship to MIT, he would rather that his daughter made better choices than the big blonde.

"(Y/n) said that when her father found out that she had skipped school, that she got her ass handed to her. That he drove her to school and picked her up every day for a year to make sure that she didn't skip. That he even called the school to make sure that she was attending all her classes. And she also said that she was glad he did. That it made her knuckled down and get her grades, so that she could become a marine. Mom never did that for me. I don't think she cared if I went to school or not. (Y/n) also said, if I want to be a badass like her, you and the others, I should keep my ass in class." Katie replied, as she finally took a seat next to her father.

"See. I told ya, ya want to be like (Y/n). I swear that she's tha only one of us with any real smarts. (Y/n)'s right. If ya want to be like her, then ya should keep ya ass in class." Barney said, a small smile creeping across his lips as he felt Katie slip her hand into his.

"Do you think that (Y/n) would help? I mean......do you think that she would come over from her place and take me to school. That she'd show me how to be a Marine?" Katie asked, as Barney looked up at her.

"Well, that's one thing that we need to talk to ya about. I know (Y/n) should be here to tell ya this too, but...........What would ya say if I told ya that (Y/n) and me have talked about her being here all the time? That we were thinking about making things more.......well more permanent? Like married." Barney enquired. Katie staring at her father wide eyed.

"You and (Y/n) are gonna get married?" Katie squealed. Jumping to her feet and racing through the house looking for the sniper.

"(Y/N)!" Katie yelled out. (Y/n) almost dropping her freshly poured cup of coffee as the young Ross rushed into the kitchen, and into her arms.

"You're gonna marry Barney. Tell me you're gonna marry Barney." Katie said, as she squeezed (Y/n). (Y/n) smiling as the man in question came into the room.

"Well........I was thinking about it. But he hasn't asked me properly yet." (Y/n) replied. Katie looking over at Barney who was looking a little sheepish.

"Dad! Ask (Y/n) to marry you." Katie demanded. (Y/n) trying not to laugh as the young woman made her way over to Barney, grabbed him by the hand and pulled him over to her.

"Dad!" The young Ross exclaimed impatiently. Katie bouncing on her toes as Barney pulled his lucky ring from his finger and placed it on (Y/n)'s.

"I know it ain't perfect. And I promise that I'll get you a real one. But (Y/n).......would ya marry me?" Barney asked. (Y/n) smiling as she looked down at the oversized ring on her finger.

"Ummmmmmmm." (Y/n) teased. The two Ross' looking at her hopefully.

"I would love to marry you Barney Ross." (Y/n) replied. Barney and Katie both taking her in their arms and hugging her. (Y/n) realising that it wasn't just Barney that was going to have to get better at this parenting thing.