Bed of roses - Tool x Reader

A Tool request for _80s_Guys_Lover_. I just felt the urge to go down the total romance line. So, I hope that you all enjoy.

Tool looked around the apartment that sat above his shop. Everything was in place, now he just had to wait for (Y/n) to get there.

Most would find it hard to believe that Tool could have fallen in love. Yet alone, in real love, and so hard. Admittedly, Tool was always surrounded by woman, it seeming to be the running joke with the team, that Tool appeared to have another woman, sometimes two, on his arm every other week. Claiming that they were the new love of his life. The artist creating some beautiful pieces of artwork for his new loves. But when (Y/n) had come along. When he had seen her face. All that had ended. And the perpetual ladies' man, now only had eyes for one woman.

Tool had first met (Y/n) when she was taken on by Barney and the team. An ex-black ops operative, that no longer worked for the company. A recruit that had been found by Barney's other source, Bonaparte. Barney and the others bringing her into his shop to get her Expandable tattoo, after a very successful mission.

Tool knew that there was a new member on the team, but Barney and the boys had failed to mention that this new recruit, was in fact, a beautiful woman. So, when she had been helped through the door by Christmas, Tool had just presumed that Lee had finally seen sense, and left Lacey. The tattooist more than approving of the change. Sure, that Lee Christmas must be the luckiest bastard in the world. The retired mercenary putting it down to Lee's boyish charm, and that damn British accent.

He could still remember her turning around and smiling broadly at him as he had approached. He could remember how she had thanked him advance for her new tattoo. Tool's eyes widening, and smile growing broader as Barney had explained who she was. That she was the newest member of the team. And not in fact Christmas' latest squeeze. Though Barney had informed him, that Lee would certainly not be averse to the idea.

Tool had been thanked a few times for his works of art in the past. But when she had thanked him again, her eyes taking in every aspect of the new piece on her right bicep. It was as if every other thank you, had paled into insignificance. The happy sparkle in her orbs more than thanks enough. He had taken every care with her piece. Put every flourish on it that he possibly could, just to make it as perfect as he could. Make it as individual and beautiful as she was.

Tool could also remember how he felt when she had left his shop. It was a feeling that he had never experienced before. A feeling that something wonderful had just walked out of his life. And worse, was the feeling that he would not get it back. Barney taking pity on his old friend and remaining behind while the others went to celebrate, so that he could tell the expert knife thrower all about (Y/n). The big man not failing to see the look in Tool's eyes as he had taken in (Y/n)'s every fine line, while under his needle.

He could vividly recall how, when Barney had left, that he had gone out into the cold night air. Tool knowing that he couldn't just sit there. That the brisk air might clear his mind of the visions of (Y/n)'s beautiful eyes. And it was then he had seen her, sitting all alone in an all-night diner, sipping quietly on a cup of coffee. He had momentarily thought about not disturbing her. He knew that old soldiers needed their time alone. Especially after a mission. And she looked so contented all by herself. Yet it had been as if his feet had had a mind of their own. Leading him into the diner. Her face lighting up as she had looked up and seen him. She, of course, had asked him to join her. And for the rest of the night, they had talked. (Y/n) filling Tool in on the bits that Barney had not been able to tell him. And Tool telling her everything in return. Not feeling the need to gloss over the gorier and bloodier aspects of his life. Then, when the night sky had been at its absolute blackest, (Y/n) had offered to take him back to the shop. Tool "accidentally" directing her to go down a few wrong streets, of a city that she didn't know. Just so that he could stay in the car a little longer, and listen to the beautiful sound of her laughter fill the vehicle as he told her all his best stories about the boys. But what he remembered most, was that when they had finally got to shop, (Y/n) had asked if she could see more of his work. A request that Tool was more than happy to grant. Tool waking late the next morning to find that (Y/n) was fast asleep with him on the sofa, snuggled up under his arm. The ex-mercenary knowing that he had lost his heart in that instant. And all that was why Tool now found himself scrutinising the apartment that he called home. An apartment that was their home. An apartment that was filled with a love and warmth that he knew only (Y/n) could give him.

From that first night, he and (Y/n) had seemed to be attached at the hip. Only apart when she had had to join the team on a mission. And now, twelve months later, Tool wanted to show (Y/n) how much he appreciated everything she had done for him. How much he appreciated her love.

Today was their first anniversary. One year of happiness that Tool never thought that he would truly experience. And he was determined to make this a night that (Y/n) would never forget. With one last check, Tool turned out the lights in the apartment and crept to his hiding place. He knew that (Y/n) would be home soon. And Tool couldn't wait.

                                                          >>---------------------------------<<

(Y/n) dug around in her pocket, bringing out her keys and unlocking the back door to the shop. She couldn't wait to see Tool, it had been a long mission, and all she wanted to do was curl up on the sofa with the man she loved and fall asleep in his arms, as she told him what had happened. His finger combing gently through her hair as she drifted off to sleep.

Pushing open the door she was surprised to see that every light was off. Normally the shop would be bright, and Tool would be humming happily as he smoked his pipe and painted, or drew in one of his little books. So, to be greeted by darkness was not something she was used to.

"Tool honey, are you here?" (Y/n) called out as she walked up the stairs and flicked on the lights to the apartment. Her eyes darting around the seemingly empty home, as she shut the door behind her.

"Tool." She called out again, as she took of her jacket, and threw her heavy duffle bag onto the chair that sat next to the door.

As she looked again, she saw that the large blanket and pillows that she and Tool would use to snuggle up together on the sofa, had been freshly laundered and laid out neatly, with a note lying on top of them. Picking up the piece of paper that seemed to have been ripped out of one of Tool's books, she read the puzzling message written in artist's hand.

"Go to the fridge." The note told her. (Y/n)'s eyebrows furrowing in confusion as she moved to do as she had been informed.

Slowly (Y/n) opened the fridge, her eyes widening as they fell on the bottle of champagne that sat proudly on the shelf, with a large red bow around its neck, and two glasses waiting next to it.

"Tool, where are you?" (Y/n) questioned, chuckling slightly as she took the next note that read. "Look in the oven."

Laughing, (Y/n) shook her head, and walked over to the oven, as she finally realised that the room was filled with the wonderful odour of a home cooked meal. Her smile getting broader as she opened the oven door, to see that there sat two plates of her favourite food, with another note that informed her to go to the desk in the room she used as an office.

With a skip in her step, her long mission forgotten, (Y/n) entered the dark room that was lit by a single tiny candle. Turning the light on, (Y/n) saw that the candle was sitting in a small red cupcake, a cupcake that had a single word written on it in white icing. A word that simply said, "Bedroom".

Blowing out the candle, (Y/n) rushed to their bedroom, taking in a deep breath as she saw that their bed was scattered with red rose petals. The smell of the blooms filling her senses and making her sigh happily.

"Thank you." A familiar voice said from behind her, (Y/n) turning on her heels to find the face of the man that she loved.

"Thank you for what?" (Y/n) asked, still not believing that Tool had done all this, just for her.

"Thank for giving me the best year of my life. Thank you for making every day better. Thank you for making my world a better place. But most of all, thank you for loving this old man." Tool said, watching the happy tears roll down (Y/n)'s cheeks, as she rushed into his waiting arms and held him tight.

"It's me that should be thanking you Tool. You didn't need to do all this. But the fact that you have, makes me realise all the more just how special you are, and how lucky I am to have you. Happy Anniversary, baby." (Y/n) said, as her lips crashed into his.

"Do you think that dinner can wait?" (Y/n) asked, as she finally pulled away from Tool's lips.

"Why?" Tool asked with a chuckle, as he saw the mischievous glint in (Y/n)'s eyes.

"Well, that bed of roses is calling our names. And who am I to say no to a rose?" (Y/n) laughed, as Tool took her up into his arms, and carried her to the bed. The tattoo artist looking forward to what the rest of the night and the rest of their lives, would bring.