Bruises - Part 2 - Gunnar x Reader

The final part to this imagine. I hope that you think it is a suitable ending. Please enjoy.

"So, now you know the sad story." (Y/n) sighed, as she looked at Barney. Finding it strange that she felt so comfortable about giving such intimate information, to the big man. Oddly feeling as if she were confessing all of her sins to a patient priest. Barney nodding understandingly at all the right moments, as she told him all about a life that she was no longer sure had been hers.

"When I was released from the hospital and got home. I found that he had taken all his things. And I never saw him again. He didn't leave me a note. He never called. Never anything. I tried to find him. Tried to call him, but..........All I could do in the end, was cry myself to sleep every night. Eat my body weight in ice cream. And then when I fully recovered, I went to start my new job. Despite everything, all his promises. All that he said. I knew that he would want me to give up what I did. He was always protective. Sometimes, overly so. And I knew that sooner or later, he would tell me that he wanted me to give up my career. And in the end, he would get too involved with something else, and I would find myself in the purgatory of being one of those bored housewives who go shopping, while he was halfway around the world, fighting a battle that I'd want to be fighting too. I know that most people see him as an crass, arrogant jackass. Yet with me, he was always the sweetest, most loving man. But as much as I loved him, and I thought that he loved me, I always had a nagging feeling that one day he would end up bored of me. He would either end up dead, or find himself someone younger, prettier. Then I would be out in the cold, no career, no money, no hope. So, I did the only thing I could at the time. I said, no. Despite my own plans to ask......... I regretted my decision for a long time. Hated myself for a long time. But when I thought about how quickly and easily, he had left. How instantly he must have moved on. I started to believe that he hadn't cared as much as I thought he had. Then I was relieved. Better to have cut the ties then, than be hurt later." (Y/n) explained. Trying as discretely as possible, to wipe the tears from her eyes.

"I don't think that there is much else to tell you to be honest, Barney. It's all very sad. All very sickly romance movie worthy. But it all happened a lifetime ago, and I have done my best to move on. And unfortunately, unlike the movies, this story doesn't have a happy ending. Anyway, I think that I should probably go. I am sure that you need Gunnar a lot more than you need me. And he was here first. So........" (Y/n) added as she slowly got up from her chair.

"I think that ya should go and see him." Barney said calmly, as he leaned back in his chair, and pulled a cigar out from his pocket.

"As I told you, we ain't here to pander to Gunnar's whims. And I am usually the only one that dictates who and who isn't allowed to join the team. Look. It may not be my place, but I should tell you something about the big guy. And when I'm finished, I'm sure that you will want to go and see him. I'll even go with you for support, if that helps." Barney said. (Y/n) listening as he told her what had happened. What Gunnar had done, and been through, since he had left her.

                                                        >>---------------------------------<<

(Y/n) and Barney drew up to Gunnar's apartment building. The former intelligence officer sure that she had bitten her nails down to the quick as they had made the journey there. She had had no idea that Gunnar had gone off the rails as he had done. But there again she wouldn't. She had tried a hundred time and more, to call him. To see him. But when she had gone to his apartment, she found that he had disappeared. Her calls always cut off. She had wanted so desperately to explain. To tell him of her own plans for them. To let him know that she never wanted him to leave. That it wasn't over. But she knew that her refusal had hurt him. Even as much as she loved him, she was as aware as everyone else, that Gunnar not only had an ego bigger than most. But also, a softer heart than most gave him credit for. And that a no, would have caused more harm than she had ever intended. But now she was here to fix things. And even if he screamed and hollered at her, she was going to tell him everything. Tell him what she had had planned. Tell him what he missed out on.