Overlord - Part 3

My apologies for how long it is taking for me to write these updates for this imagine, but I feel that it is important that I get this as accurate as I possibly can, so I hope you will forgive me.

"How's it goin?" Barney asked quietly, watching as (Y/n) tweaked the last connection in the Mercedes engine, before wiping the oil off her hands on a dirty rag.

"Not too bad, the truck is in pretty good condition, this Merc though looks like its been sitting here for some time which I can't understand; it's a staff car, it should have been used every day by the commanding officer here. The only thing I can think of is that I've found some damage to the undercarriage and I think that it might have had a meeting with our friends the French Resistance, some of their improvised explosives don't necessarily blow things up, they just cause a nuisance, and maybe the commander here was waiting for a new car rather than have this one fixed." (Y/n) explained, as she messed up her short hair, Barney chuckling to himself as he watched her take one last look at the engine before closing the hood.

"How are you and the boys getting on with your new personas? I can't imagine that any of you like the idea of being Nazis, I can't say that I'm overtly keen on the idea myself, and I wish there was another way, but.........." (Y/n) said, shrugging her shoulders and smiling, as Barney came up to her, resting his hands on her hips.

"Lets just put it this way, if they were the real SS, Hitler would have already lost the war." Barney told her, looking around to make sure that no one before he leaned down and kissed her.

"Hey! None of that mister, we can't have you going around man handling and kissing superior officers, especially not when I look like this." (Y/n) said jokingly, once again combing her fingers through her short hair.

"Well I have to take this last chance, don't know when and if I'll get to do it again dahlin." Barney chuckled, only stopping when (Y/n) pulled away from him, her features turning a mixture of concern and sadness.

"Don't, don't say things like that. I don't want to think that we'll never get another chance to do this again; I hate the thought of anything happening to any of you, I don't know what I'd do if one of you got hurt, or worse, killed." (Y/n) said, wrapping her arms tightly around herself as she looked off into the distance.

"Hey, hey! I didn't mean it like that, I just meant that we probably won't get much of a chance to be alone from now on, the guys will always be with us, and like ya say, I can't go around manhandling my superior officer can I?" Barney told her, coming up behind (Y/n) as he placed his arms around her waist and pulled her into his chest.

"I don't know if I can do this, Barney. We are going into occupied France, hoping to god that we don't get killed by the German's or our own guys, just to get this god damn General; and if that's not bad enough, I have the worry of making sure that nothing happens to you or the other, it just feels like I'm not good enough for this, that I'm going to do something wrong, and everyone will be killed because of me." (Y/n) sighed, quickly wiping a tear away that rolled down her cheek.

"(Y/n)." Barney said softly, turning her around so that she was looking in his eyes.

"Me and the guys all knew what we were signing up for when we took the job, we all knew that it wasn't gonna be easy, and ya gonna be fine, there is no one better for this job than you; take it from me, if something goes wrong its more likely to be because of Gunnar than you." Barney chuckled, trying to lighten the heavy mood that had descended over the pair.

"Thanks Barn, you always know how to cheer up a girl." (Y/n) said, her hand brushing over the light stubble that was growing on his chin.

"Ok, you better go and shave, a German officer wouldn't be allowed to have stubble like that, and make sure the others do too, if we are doing this, then we are doing it right. Now scoot, I still have a few things to do before we head out." (Y/n) chuckled, playfully pushing the big man away as she walked over to the truck.