The Tomboy - Barney x Reader

Words in italics are meant to be in Russian.

(Y/n) was the team's resident tomboy, all she knew was the army and how to fight. Her father had been some highfalutin Colonel in the Marines, and from the moment she could join, she had followed in her father's footsteps, becoming one of the few women to make the grade and become a Marine. She had worn the uniform with pride for years, and the motto of the corps, Semper Fidelis, was tattooed across her back; but at her father's death she had found herself disillusioned with the corps, losing her way for a while before a man called Bonaparte had introduced her to a certain Barney Ross, and the rest as they say, is history.

The boys had always joked about (Y/n); she was as tough as they came, stubborn and formidable, she could shoot, fight, drink and laugh with the best of them, often putting the boys to shame. The other's never thought of her as a girl, it wasn't that (Y/n) wasn't beautiful, in fact it was quite the opposite; it wasn't that she wasn't curvy in all the right places, it was just that she had spent so long keeping up with, and surpassing the men around her that to them she was simply (Y/n), and one of the boys.

That was she was simply (Y/n) to everyone else apart from Barney. As soon as Bonaparte had introduced her to him, Barney had seen something in (Y/n) that the others couldn't or wouldn't; she had a soft, gentle side that she only seemed to show in front of him. To Barney, (Y/n) was every inch a woman; he would see her cry at the sad parts of movies, bring stray animals to the hangar, so that she could get them taken care of; but what he liked most was how she would drape her arms around his shoulders from behind, leaning on him gently as she talked to the others, often giving him a subtle wink as she would go to the bar to get in a round of drinks for everyone. Barney knew that there was something between them, well at least there was to him; but there was always something in the way, or another mission would come up, and Barney had never had the chance to tell the tomboy how he felt.

                                                   >>----------------------------------------<<

Much to his annoyance, Barney found himself having to sit across from Church who was outlining the latest mission that he wanted to make Barney and the rest of the team go on.

"Look, I need you and the little rascals in on this one; normally I wouldn't expect you to go undercover, but you and (Y/n) are the closet looking to the pair we have in custody." Church said, throwing Barney the file.

"Antonio and Katherine Salvatore; he's a big gun runner with connections throughout Europe and North America, she is an art expert that used to work for Sotheby's auction house. The two are newlyweds, and Antonio dotes on his new bride; you and (Y/n) are perfect for the married couple, plus you need an English personal assistant by the name of Sebastian Grace, also two bodyguards." Church told Barney, as Barney's eyes scanned over the paperwork, looking at the photos of the married couple.

"(Y/n) will be perfect as Katherine, I used to have the honour of knowing her father; her old man had quite an interest in art, and it rubbed off on (Y/n), that, and she can speak fluent Russian and Italian, just like Katherine, and (Y/n) looks amazing in a dress." Church said, smirking when he saw the confused look on Barney's face, as he wondered how Church seemed to know things about (Y/n) that he and the team didn't.

"Wondering how I know so much about your little tomboy, hmmmm?" Church asked, as he stood.

"Like I said, I knew her pops; I've known her since she was young. When she left the corps, I tried to recruit her, but she wanted something different, and unfortunately she found you." Church told Barney, as he made his way to leave.

"Never underestimate (Y/n), Bamm-Bamm." Church said, leaving Barney alone.

                                              >>--------------------------------------------<<