Together

a/n: truth be told, i teared up while making this

3rd person's POV:
Hunched down as he sat on the edge of the bed, fingers held the cloth of the woman he considered his long time friend.

His blue eyes were blurry as tears rolled their way down his cheeks. A frown was evident even in the dimly lit room. If anyone could see him their heart would clench, so he did them a favor of not making a noise and being left alone.

A silent cry of pain went out his mouth as he looked at the ceiling, painful memories invading his mind. He smiled painfully as the tears made his vision blurry.

He missed her. The pain was ever so familiar as he clenched his chest, eyes tight shut, attempting to stop the feeling and the tears. But they wouldn't obey him

He was tired. Of people leaving him. For once, he wanted to give up. He couldn't do this all day. He wanted to just stop and forget everything as he looked down, tears falling on the black leather jacket in his hands.

"I thought you weren't gonna leave me" he asked in the air as he sniffled and cried

"Outwit the platinum bastard"

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk" she smirks as she teased him

"You know what romanoff?"

He chuckled painfully at the memory. It was as if it was yesterday they had met. It was as if it was just earlier she had promised him they would get them back together.

Together, she said.

"I can't sign them"

"I know" she smiled sadly as he looked up at her, confusion written in his face as his brows met.

"Then why are you here?"

"I...I can't leave you alone" she smiled as she opened her arms for him which he gladly accepted.

If he knew she would be gone so quick he'd never had let go. He didn't believe-- no he refused to believe she was gone. She couldn't have been gone that fast and that easy.

"Together" she smiled at him

He pleaded in his mind. Pleaded to the heavens and whoever was the deity to bring her back. He needed to say many things. He still had to tell her how much she has done. How many lives she saved. How she affected their lives.

He still....needed her.

"Cap, these people are going nowhere" she informs as he panted next to her

"If stark finds a way to blow this rock-"

"Not til everyone is safe" he cuts her off

"Everyone up here, versus everyone down there, there's no math there"

"We're not leaving this rock with one civillian on it" he declares as he stares intot the dusty air, her green eyes soften as she looks to her captain

"I didn't say we should leave" she says softly as he looks at her

"There's worse ways to go" she says as she looks at the horizon

"Where else am I gonna get a view like this?" she smiles a small one

He sniffled as he stood and lazily walked his drawer, getting out his old sketchbook, wrapped in newspaper as there were words messily written in red marker.

Happy birthday, romanoff.

He smiled sadly as he carefully removed the newspaper, showing the soft blue covers of the sketchbool he covered himself.

"You were supposed to get this tomorrow, romanoff" he whispered as he opened it.

Drawings of her and all the people she saved. Her and her family.

There was one where she carried clint's daughter on her hip while smiling.

And one where the one time peter had met her, instead of shaking hands she hugged the teen and tony was laughing beside them as he held his phone up.

He had also drawn her with bruce and clint in the med bay, bruce patching them up from their previous mission.

And he laughed as he saw one where sam was under her leg as she beat him in a sparring match.

Sketches of her with wanda holding wine glasses as they laughed over a sitcom they were watching.

"Cap-" the billionaire stopped as he entered as the blond's room, the scene before him made him sigh.

Steve quickly stood up and tried to wipe his tears away as he smiled, trying to look composed but failed.

"It's all good, rogers" tony smiled sadly as he closed the door behind him, walking over the captain.

They both sat in silence as tont contemplated what to do. He was sad too, of course, natasha was gone, bruce was upset, clint blamed himself and his captain was bawling his eyes out.

"Can I see that?" tony smiled sadly as he requested for the sketchbook and steve nodded as he looked down.

"These are good" tony spoke the obvious as he smiled sadly.

"It's her day tomorrow" steve said, a frown could be heard from his voice.

"We can do this, steve, she knows, and what she did won't go to waste, we always do the job in the end, trust me" tony smiled as he walked away, tapping steve's shoulder before going out the door.

Steve sighed, as he looked out the window.

"It's been longer than a minute, romanoff" he said as he opened the window, the cold breeze of the evening hitting him.

She smiled sadly as she looked down at him.

"I'm sorry, cap" she says as her own tears dropped down