18. Deadly Tether

Chapter Eighteen

        Deadly Tether

         The car's engine and the pouring rain was the only thing that was heard in the ears of Shailene. She sat in the passenger's seat of Stiles's blue jeep. Her head was resting her arm, her arm leaning against the glass door. Her green eyes were sore from all the crying, her face pale with tear stains. Shay's trembling, fragile legs were pulled up and resting gently against the leather seats.

        Stiles drove silently down the vacant road, emotionless. His mind was clouded and jumbled with too many thoughts. The tension wasn't awkward or uncomfortable, just both teenagers on edge. It was almost forty-five minutes since Body had been brutally killed by Derek who was forced to by Kalli and the twins. A certain anger had filled up in Shay, realizing the Alphas had won this battle.

        When Stiles pulled up to Shay's house, they both sat in silence, not daring to move an inch. All Shay could think was about how Boyd, innocent and young, was killed by self-serving, psychotic, ruthless Alphas. Stiles glanced over at his best friend, sorrow filling his eyes. Without having a second thought, he reached over and grabbed Shay's hand, rubbing soothingly with his thumb.

        Shay snatched her hand away and opened the door, walking over to the porch. God, she felt like she was about to explode. Explode in the overwhelming emotions that suffocated her. Stiles rushed out of his car, catching up with Shay when she reached her porch.

        "Shay." The desperate sound in his voice made Shay freeze in her place, "Are you gonna be okay?"

        That seemed to be the question of the day. Will Shay be okay? It was a yes or no question yet far from simple. Shay turned around to face Stiles, her puffy eyes meeting Stiles and a weak smile forming on her mouth, "I'll be okay."

        Stiles stepped forward, a small smile on his face, "I just wanted to make sure. Call me if you need me."

        She nodded, tears brimming in her eyes yet they weren't visible, "Thanks Stiles."

        Stiles leaned over and kissed her cheek, leaving a warm tingle rush through her. Shay turned around and walked through her front door. Once the door closed, her aunt Jenna came walking to her from the kitchen.

        "Hey kiddo, how was your day-" Jenna stopped herself and the wide smile that was once broad on her face soon withered away.

        Shay's face twisted with emotion as she soon started crying. Jenna quickly walked over to her niece and wrapped her arms around her small body. She began sobbing in her aunt's shoulder, her body trembling and shaking.

        Everything became to much and her glass heart broke into two.

        The next day wasn't as emotional for Shay. Jenna left earlier in the morning for an all day shift, letting Shay to sleep in. Shay, who lied peacefully on her comfy bed, was woken from the buzzing of her phone. Groaning, she grabbed her phone from the night-stand and looked at the screen, blinking a few times at the light.

From: Stiles Stilinski

Going to Derek's loft to find out answers. Meet me there in fifteen?

To: Stiles Stilinski

Sure thing

        Shay hastily got up and placed her phone in her bag.  After getting dressed, Shay walked down the stairs and went to the kitchen, grabbing a water bottle before leaving. Honestly, she didn't feel any better than last thing. Of course, she wasn't as sad as last night. But it felt like an overwhelming impacted of anxiety and panic hanged over her head like a cloud.