23. Absent without Leave

Chapter Twenty-Three

        Absent without Leave

My eyes widened as I stared at Cora's motionless body, "Do you know CPR?"

Stiles nodded his head rapidly, "Yeah, pretty sure."

I watched as Stiles titled her chin, "Here we go, tilt the head. Fingers on the chin. Clear the throat. Great, nothing. I see nothing. Okay, all right, so, uh... just pinch the nose and blow."

 Then he placed his lips onto her mouth, blowing in a small amount of air. Jealous stirred inside of me but I completely ignored it. Now was not the time to be jealous over someone who wasn't even my boyfriend.

"Come on, Cora." He mumbled before blowing another puff into her mouth. The whole time I tapped my foot onto the floor, squeezing Cora's hand tightly. Watching stirred some nerving in me, making anxiety build up inside. After a few more puffs of air, Cora jolted up slightly while taking in desperate grasp of oxygen.

"Thank the lord." I breathed as Stiles let out a stressful sigh, leaning back into the seat. Few seconds later of pure silence, I rubbed her thumb over Cora's palm, "Hold on a little bit longer, okay?"

Stiles looked over at me, warily, "I've been thinking about what Cora said and I can't seem to shake it off." Suddenly, tears brimmed in his eyes, "I don't want to find my dad's body."

I reached over and gripped his hand, "We will fine him, I promise."

He whipped his eyes from the unleashed tear before looking over at me, smiling, "We never got to talk after the recital."

"We never really got the chance." I shrugged, giggling, "What did you want to talk to me about?"

Stiles sucked in a deep and long breath, gaining the courage to speak what was on his mind, "Shay, since the 3rd grade I have liked you. I could literally not stop thinking about you. And that kiss was absolutely amazing, the best thing that has ever happened..."

"Do you want to be with me Stiles?" I softly whispered.

"More than anything in the entire world." He nodded.

I smiled widely, "Okay."

My hand reached up and gently, I kissed him. A whole revelation surrounded us and a burst of happiness erupted inside of me. I was with Stiles; me and Stiles are together. It was the best thing that has happened in the last month or so. All my attention and focus was completely on Stiles and suddenly, all the pain from my body and head went away.

We pulled away, keeping our closeness but Stiles looked at me, confused, "What's wrong?"

I hastily glanced at Cora before widely smiling at Stiles, "I disconnected myself from Cora."

"How?"

"I just focused on you." I softly replied, "Let's talk about something else, please."

Before I could even think of a new topic to think about, he abruptly spoke, "What was it like?"

My face twisted in confusion, "What was what like?"

"Losing your parents." Stiles answered and suddenly my mind stopped. That question had hundreds of answers but all of them connected to one; it hurt. Losing the two people who raised you and loved you was like a part of your soul being ripped away from you. Your heart shattering into a million pieces and it was like the sadness would never end.

"The worst part was...was realizing all the stuff they would miss." I began to answer, "My graduation, my wedding. That stuff gets to you."

When I finished my sentence, my eyes became glassy. I wasn't gonna to cry every time I talked about my parents. I wasn't gonna break. But when ever I picture them, laughing and smiling, a pang of hurt started in my chest and I can't shake it off.