12. Down Memory Lane

Chapter Twelve

        Down Memory Lane

        “Your heart became proud on account of your beauty, and you corrupted your wisdom because of your splendor."

        When you lose someone, every candle and every pray, doesn't make up for the fact that there is a hole in your heart where that someone use to be. And a rock. Losing a parent, a mother or a father, is like losing a part of yourself. You never realize you miss them until there six feet under ground and for a moment, you think life will end with sorrow in your heart. People question why bad things happen to good people, why they deserve pain.

        But then again, the heart was made to be broken.

~ ~ ~

        "Sweetheart, break feast is ready!" Shay's mother called from downstairs. Shay stood in front of her full length mirror, examining her outfit and her hair. Her wavy blonde hair was in a ponytail and her outfit was simple for the first day of freshman year; a black tank-top with a dark blue plaid shirt and jeans. The first day of high school was always hard for everyone but Shay had this nervous feeling in the pit of her stomach.

        She walked down the stairs and saw her beautiful mother, placing pancakes onto plates around the table. Her mother looked up and smiled brightly once she saw Shay.

        "Hey honey." Shay's mother welcomed, "I've made pancakes and scrambled eggs, you want some?"

        Shay walked over to her mother but shook her head, "No thanks. My stomach is already feeling sick, don't need food making it even worse."

        Her mother laughed, "Is Stiles picking you up?"

        "Yeah, along with Scott who was able to hitch a ride with him."

        Shailene's mother looked up and shook her head, jokingly, "I still cannot believe that the Sheriff let him buy that crap piece of blue jeep. Seriously, that thing was older than my grandmother."

        Shay shrugged, "It's the one that Stiles wanted and it was cheap, like really cheap."

        A loud honk was heard from outside, indicating that Stiles was outside and waiting for Shay to get outside. She smiled, "That's my ride."

        Her mother stood closer to Shay and cupped her daughter's face, giving a kiss on the cheek before reeling back her head and looking at Shay, "I love you sweetheart."

        "I love you too."

~ ~ ~

        The bus rumbled as it drove over the bumps in the road but inside the bus, it was silent. The whole cross country team was in the bus; Isaac and Boyd up in front sharing whispers, an anxious Ethan with Danny, and Shay, sitting in between Stiles and Scott, thinking of her deceased parents. Scott was leaning helpless against the window, weak and pale from sickness. Stiles was sitting on the outside end with an IPad in his hands, scrolling through something.

        A spiral notebook was opened and lied out on Shay's lap, a black bell point pen in Shay's right hand. A bunch of words, sentences, and symbols were all scribbled onto the paper. The number seven was written randomly on the paper and each deadly sin was on it as well. Pride, wrath, greed, sloth, lust, envy, and gluttony. Ever since Shay saw the raven, her mind has been wondering how the seven wonders involve the seven sins.