chapter 19

Feelings are best expressed under impending circumstances.

Upon our return to the cruiser, we are greeted by the voice and appearance of a distressed Obi-Wan Kenobi on a holo transmission."Y/n, Anakin, my long-range transmitter has been knocked out. Retransmit this message to Coruscant," he demands.

Of course he found out we were on Tatooine. Regardless of the consequences, we know that the best thing to do to help Obi-Wan is follow his orders. Senator Amidala presses a command button and retransmits it to the Chancellor's office.

"I have tracked the bounty hunter, Jango Fett, to the droid foundries on Geonosis," the message continues. "The Trade Federation is to take delivery of a droid army here, and it is very clear that Viceroy Gunray is behind the assassination attempts on Senator Amidala. The Commerce Guilds and Corporate Alliance have both pledged their armies to Count Dooku and are forming a—Wait. Wait." The hologram of Master Kenobi ignites his lightsaber and deflects fire from a droid that is then seen on the message. A destroyer.

I look at Anakin, who is fearful of what is happening to his master. Rightfully so. I mean, I would have hoped the universe had put us through enough over these past few days. No, it gets worse. At least Master Gallia hasn't yet been tied into this mess.

This'll all be over soon, hopefully. We can help Obi-Wan, bring Padmé back to Naboo until her safety is assured, and return to Coruscant with only a lecture from the Council. Yes. This will blow over. In good time.

"More happening on Geonosis, I feel, than has been revealed," Master Yoda states in the transmission from Coruscant.

"I agree. Y/n, Anakin, we will deal with Count Dooku," Master Windu adds. "The most important thing for you is to stay where you are. Protect the senator at all costs. That is your first priority."

At least that isn't a scolding, and I've heard Windu say worse. But if I know Anakin, I know we won't be staying on Tatooine for much longer.

"Understood, Master," Anakin responds. He ends the transmission.

"They'll never get there in time to save Obi-Wan. Coruscant is halfway across the galaxy," I worry. "By the time the Jedi arrive, he'll have been dead for a while."

"She's right," Padmé states. "Look, Geonosis is less than a parsec away." She shows us a map of our position compared to Master Kenobi's. We could get there in time to rescue him.

"If he's still alive," Anakin counters.

"Ani, are you just gonna sit here and let him die? He's your friend, he's your mentor. He's—"

"He's like my father!" he cuts her off. "But you heard Master Windu. He gave us strict orders to stay here!"

"He gave us strict orders to protect Padmé, and we're going after Obi-Wan. Are you coming or not?" I insert myself, reminding him that I was still in charge.

Senator Amidala escorts herself to the back of the ship as I sit in the co-pilot seat.

"I guess I am coming," Anakin mumbles, helping me power up the ship while sitting in the pilot seat.

From what I expected, Anakin is far from eager to go to Geonosis, which seems odd. Maybe it's because... he doesn't want the same situation to play out. That's it.

Anakin is afraid he won't make it in time to save his master, like he wasn't able to save his mother. He can't bare to see Obi-Wan die today. As he said, Master Kenobi is like his father. The father he never had. And the father he doesn't want to lose now.

I don't know how I didn't piece this together immediately, it was obvious. As much as Anakin's concern is valid, I know Obi-Wan can defend himself if needed. He's a skilled Jedi, but that doesn't mean he won't need assistance.