chapter 32

Choice is the only option in life.

Upon yet another relieving return to Coruscant, I manage to get a bit of time to myself, for once. As I get in some light meditation, the comlink on my wrist chimes.

"This is General y/l/n," I answer, standing up from my seat.

"Your presence is requested by Senator Padmé Amidala," Master Windu states. "There has been a threat of invasion on Naboo, you are to head there immediately."

An attack on Naboo? That's been a peaceful system since the start of the war, I can't possibly imagine why the Separatists would choose to attack it. Even at that, I don't have much of a choice, and if Padmé is in trouble, I have to help.

"Copy that, Master," I assure.

***

Walking across the Temple hangar, I prepare to head into a speeder and go back to the Resolute, until faint footsteps sound behind me. I turn around and smirk, knowing exactly who it is.

"Would you look at that," Anakin remarks, speaking slowly, pretending to act surprised. "It seems like we're assigned to the same mission."

"What a coincidence," I chuckle, approaching him slowly.

"That, or being some of the best Jedi in the Order." My husband smiles back and keeps the same pace as me as we near each other.

"Come on," I urge, tapping his chestplate. "Don't let your cockiness get the better of you, Skywalker."

Anakin looks down at me and raises his eyebrows, almost impressed by my comment. He grazes his hand across my arm a bit too casually. "Talk about yourself, Sky—" Before Anakin can finish his sentence, I shush him and clear my throat.

He glares at me in slight frustration as I look over his shoulder, seeing a certain padawan entering the hangar. Why does it always seem like someone is waiting around the corner to interrupt us? Every single time.

I push Anakin's hand away from me as my gaze meets his again. "I'm getting tired of us having to hide all the time," he whispers. I know he's tired, and honestly, I am too, but our relationship being hidden is the best compromise for our livelihood.

I turn to face Ahsoka, leading my husband to do the same. "Like it isn't obvious," I mumble right before she comes into earshot.

"Are we ready to go?" Ahsoka asks eagerly. It seems odd to me that she'd be excited at a time like this. Nevertheless, Ahsoka hasn't had as much experience on the battlefield, and her youth makes her want to find amusement in times like these.

"Just one more thing," Anakin insists. Even if I'm getting a bit tired by these interruptions, when it has to do with an assignment, I usually accept twists and turns. "Master Kenobi should be here soon," he continues, "if he wants to join us, that is."

"Any idea why he'd be coming along?" I wonder.

"Obi-Wan has been friendly with the Gungans since the attack on Theed," Anakin states. "I would have to assume this has some sort of correlation."

I sigh softly, looking at him for just a moment. "I almost forgot about that." It was odd to think about the fact that he had been there, as a young child, in the middle of a battle. We haven't talked about that time much, but Padmé did say he fought well.

"You didn't miss much," my husband remarks. "Except a few cool tricks." As with most things, he seems to take the mention lightly, playing it off as an easy time. Though I don't think it was easy.

"By that you mean almost getting yourself killed, right?" I say, trying to resist the smirk settling on my lips.

"Not exactly—"