chapter 65

Fleeting moments arrive from impulse.

When I thought I'd see Eyn again one day, this was not what I had in mind. I imagined a grand reveal—him bursting through a door or jumping head-first into a battlefield. What I did not imagine, however, is that he would simply call out my name from the other end of a hallway.

Come to think of it, I'm not so sure I ever wanted Eyn back in my life. Sure, he was my friend, but I've found a good balance with what I have. At least until Ahsoka left.

In any case, my life doesn't feel empty or longing with him gone. And now that Eyn is back, I surprisingly don't feel... different.

I take a glance at Anakin—hoping he'll forgive me for ditching him—and start running through the hallway. Eyn is smiling widely. He seems excited to see me again, and alas, I am as well.

"Hello, General Laric," I say in my most formal voice, trying to mock him. We used to do that a lot as kids.

"Good afternoon, y/l/n," Eyn says with a small bow, causing me to shake my head in disbelief. "I take it you've heard about the mission."

"Indeed," I reply. It feels weird to have a casual conversation with someone I haven't heard from in nearly ten years. "Hey, why are we acting so formal? It's good to see you, Eyn."

"I do enjoy seeing you too, darling," he says with a smile.

I dart my eyes further up the hallway, where I just was, and notice that Anakin is gone. I almost frown, but then remember I cannot display such signs of worry or emotion openly.

"So, why haven't I heard from you in so long?" I ask my old friend.

"I've been busy," Eyn says.

"That's all?"

"Why haven't I heard from you?" His tone doesn't seem angry, but it holds a bit of frustration.

Is he genuinely upset that we didn't stay in touch? I was just making an observation—one I don't care much about at all.

"I only learned one day that you had become Master Gallia's padawan, and then nothing," Eyn continues. "Where have you been all that time?"

"I've also been busy," I say.

"So I've seen."

How does he know where I've been? I wonder. What has he seen?

"You've seen me?" I ask openly. "I didn't know."

"You're joking, right?" he laughs.

I shake my head: No. I don't know why he would have seen me, nor where. Has Eyn been stalking me? Spying? Getting someone to gather information on me? If so, he must know that is out of bounds.

"Y/n, you've been on the news every day for years. Whenever the Holonet is on, they're almost always showing you. Either you or that other Jedi you were with earlier. Sometimes both of you."

I don't doubt that, but my public image is something I don't particularly care for. The more attention I receive, the more risk there is for Anakin and me. He's been nicknamed by many The Poster-Boy of the Republic; it's either meant to be flattering or insulting, whichever fits.

"You mean... General Skywalker?"

Eyn nods.

Well, that fact definitely doesn't aid our secrecy, but at this point, what will? If our marriage is exposed, I'm willing to leave the Jedi Order. But only if that happens.

"So I suppose this is the time when we catch up," Eyn says, starting to walk through the hallway.

I follow him reluctantly. "Don't we have a mission to attend to?"