chapter 21

Two may eventually become one.

I was back on my feet by the next day. The pain in my legs, though lessened than before, was still excruciating. I didn't care. I had a mission to complete and, in pain or not, I was willing to complete it.

Anakin was a bit upset that I was taking my recovery so lightly, but he didn't really get in the way. Obviously, being as protective as he is, he seemed to put my well-being above his own. It was also incredibly obvious that he hadn't yet taken the time to get used to his new arm.

As I changed into my Jedi robes—new ones, this time—I noticed just how bad Dooku's strike had hit me. There was a large reddish scar that caused an indent in my skin; not the greatest sight, to be honest.

Though I was unconscious the whole time, I had apparently been put in a Bacta tank for a few days to heal. Which seemed to work, since the burning sensation of red plasma hitting my skin dissipated into a minor ache.

The medical wing had decided to let me go a bit sooner than anticipated, given my apparent ease when performing my regular tasks. They had also stitched up my scar, causing the indentation to be minor, though it was still present.

I patched up my legs a bit before getting dressed, so I wouldn't be in pain from the rubbing of my fabrics. Once I stretched my legs a bit on my way to my quarters, I got used to the pain.

I walked alone through the Temple and to my accommodation. It would've been calming if not for the constant ache filling my body. I was given some medication upon my departure to help ease the pain, but it didn't eliminate it entirely.

In my quarters, I finally sat down on my bed in relief. The first thing on my mind was Echo, which made me realize we were at war now. And since he had referred to me as a general... I'd have to lead many to their death. Not to be a pessimist, but war only creates more problems.

Interrupting my thoughts, I heard a knock at my door and stayed where I was, unsure of who it originated from.

"Y/n?" I hear Anakin's voice ask.

"Come in," I say. I hadn't seen him since yesterday, so he was probably surprised at how quickly I was discharged.

Anakin opened the door and headed for my bedroom, where he stood leaning against the doorframe. "So, I hear you're doing better," he remarks.

I nod in response and smile. "A little," I state. "When are we leaving?" I wondered when we'd go back to Naboo. Where we'd be—mostly—alone.

And if I've learned anything from this past assignment, it's that Padmé doesn't seem to mind the idea of the two of us being together. She just wants me to be happy, and I greatly appreciate that.

"If you're up to it, I say we leave first thing in the morning," Anakin suggests.

"Sounds good to me."

He walks over and sits on the bed next to me. No matter how many times I tell myself this kind of thing is too intimate, especially for a Jedi, I won't stop Anakin from being close to me. I've accepted that and our mutual attachment since the events of Geonosis. Now, it's something I must live with.

"This is a war now," Anakin states. "You know that?"

I nod in affirmation. War was actually the largest of my worries at the moment. "I know," I say. "But, first things first, I think you'd be due for a trip to Ilum."

Ilum was the sacred planet younglings went to collect  their Kyber crystals, the first step to building their lightsabers. I knew the Jedi code well enough to know that if a knight or padawan lost their weapon in battle, like Anakin did, they'd have to join a mission to the ice planet and get a new crystal.