chapter 51

Awareness feeds our actions.

I'm always glad to be back home. Of course, I haven't had a proper home since the beginning of the Clone War, but the Temple, and Coruscant, is familiar enough to call a home.

The initial strike on Iziz was a success, but out of caution and propriety, only few of us remain with the rebels. Those few are Ahsoka and Caleb. Anakin, Obi-Wan, Rex and I have returned to Coruscant, updated the Council on the rebels' efforts, and will await news from our padawans.

Once the Council meeting is over, the three of us step out. It's already late, which means the Council members are more or less off-duty. If there is an emergency, however, they will be back with haste.

"That was some mission," I say, somewhat tired. It could be the lack of sunlight or all the action recently; I cannot determine the cause of my exhaustion exactly.

"If it means we're that much closer to ending this war and restoring peace to the Republic, I can deal with being a little tired," Anakin says.

A moment of silence, and then Obi-Wan speaks up. "I should return to the Council," he says. "There are a few quirks that have gone unmentioned, about the mission."

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but alas, I am not. Obi-Wan is distinctly dedicated to his Jedi duties.

Anakin and I bow our heads, watching him walk back towards the chamber doors.

"Oh, and do stay out of trouble," Obi-Wan adds from afar. Somehow, I get the feeling this advice isn't only directed at my husband, but also me. It probably isn't.

"We'll try our best," Anakin replies sarcastically. With that, the Council chamber opens again, and when Obi-Wan is out of earshot, we start walking towards the lift.

I roll my eyes at him. "So, do you think your padawan's feelings will hinder the mission's success?"

He scoffs. "What about your own's?"

We walk into the lift, set it to our floor, and I contemplate his comment before asking, "What do you mean?"

Anakin looks back at me and raises his eyebrows, seemingly inquisitive, then chuckles. "You're kidding."

"No, I'm not," I deny. "What do you mean?"

If Caleb is as troubled by his own emotions as Ahsoka, perhaps I could advise him away from Lux altogether.

My husband turns to me and I do the same, crossing my arms. "You haven't seen the way he looks at Steela, have you?" he asks.

Steela? That does make more sense, but I wasn't paying attention to her. "I had other priorities to focus on," I reply.

"He looked lost, like nothing existed but her," Anakin goes on. "Like he didn't want anything or anyone but her to exist."

"And what were you doing looking at Caleb so much?"

"He reminded me a lot of myself."

I guess that checks out. Our relationship developed so quickly that I never took the time to appreciate every little detail and mennerism of his.

Of course, now that I know them, I love Anakin even more. I love the way his eyebrows furrow and his lips purse when he's thinking or plotting or focusing on a task. I love the way he holds me subconsciously when he's asleep. I love the way he can adapt to any situation and find a solution to get us out of any bind.

I also love the way he looks at me as if there's nothing but us and our love in this whole galaxy.

"You did look lost, that day we met," I admit. "But it was probably because you didn't know who I was or where I lived."