chapter 84

Unexpected events often end in tragedy.

How can that be possible?

Coruscant is literally the heart of the Republic. Infiltrating it is difficult enough, but attacking the city-planet? That's impossible... At the very least, it's highly improbable.

"What about the chancellor?" Anakin asks.

I get a queasy feeling. Something about Chancellor Palpatine unsettles me, and remembering how much the man I love trusts and looks up to him irks me.

"Shaak Ti has been sent to protect him, but Master Windu has lost contact with her."

While Anakin appears deeply concerned, I remain unflinchingly neutral. I don't care about the Chancellor. The Senate can appoint a new one, one who might actually view the clones as human beings. His capture or death won't impact me personally.

"Not to worry," Obi-Wan goes on. "Our fleet can be there within the hour."

"So that's it?" Ahsoka cuts in, irritated. "You're going to abandon Bo-Katan and her people?"

"Ahsoka, surely you understand this is a pivotal moment in the Clone Wars. The heart of the Republic is under attack."

"I understand that, as usual, you're playing politics," Ahsoka rebukes sourly. "This is why the people have lost faith in the Jedi. I had, too, until I was reminded of what the Order means to people who truly need us."

"Right now, people on Coruscant need us."

"No." Ahsoka shakes her head. "The Chancellor needs you."

"That's not fair," Obi-Wan says.

She crosses her arms. "I'm not trying to be."

Anakin and I look at each other, both of us keen on diffusing the tension. "We'll divide the 501st," he proposes, trying to convince Obi-Wan with a well-meaning smile, "and make a new division under Ahsoka's command."

"Unfortunately, Ahsoka is no longer part of the Grand Army of the Republic," Obi-Wan says.

Ahsoka looks at me. "We can promote Rex to Commander and have him lead the new division," I say. "Ahsoka will go with him as an advisor. What do you think?"

Ahsoka, still passive as ever, replies, "I accept. That is, if Obi-Wan agrees."

Anakin and I glance at him.

"Very well," his former master says. "May the Force be with you." Ahsoka bows her head in respect as Obi-Wan sees himself out. "Oh, one other thing." He turns back. "I killed Maul once. Best to capture him. He doesn't seem to stay dead."

We watch him leave, and then Ahsoka turns to us. "Thanks for the support," she says. "As always."

"That's what friends are for," Anakin says. Ahsoka smiles brightly. I guess she hasn't forgotten about us.

"If you're going to fight Maul, these might come in handy," I say.

Her eyes widen, and she reaches for the box. Despite the overwhelming pressure, she takes her time opening it. When she lifts the lid, she marvels at the sabers. It's been a long time since she's seen them.

"I took care of them," Anakin says as Ahsoka holds both lightsabers, still not used to wielding them. "They're as good as new."

She finds her grip easily, with one saber blocking her chest and the other rigidly at her side, and ignites them. The blades shine bright blue.

I smile, remembering when Anakin and I modified the crystals to look that way, but it's bittersweet. It was such a nice gesture, and his thoughtfulness still warms my heart. However, that was when I came to terms with the permanence of Ahsoka's absence.