chapter 34

The people we surround ourselves with shape who we are.

Our presence has been requested in the Jedi Temple war room, to discuss a plan to rescue a captured Jedi Master, Eeth Koth. Anakin and I, though we may not be on the Jedi High Council, are often called in for these kinds of meetings.

I'm not exactly sure why, but our variating methods may be a reason. We've both been trained by sitting members of said council, so that'll play a big part. The final reason is that Anakin is—according to some Council members—the Chosen One. With every day that passes, I'm starting to share his opinion on that whole prophecy.

We walk through the doorway, only to be met with my former master, Master Gallia. I haven't been on that many missions with her since the start of the Clone War, especially since Anakin's addition to the 501st's command. And Ahsoka's, a few months later. I don't think I've been on a mission with both of them.

"Hello, y/n," Master Gallia says, in a welcoming tone, though not a happy or joyful one. She speaks more in relief than anything else. "It's good to see you alive and well."

"You too, Master." I bow and walk up to the round table in the centre of the room, closely followed by Anakin. He doesn't seem to mind the lack of attention, as it takes away from our obvious tardiness.

"Greetings, Jedi." We are met with a hologram of General Grievous. "It would seem, once again, one of your Order has lost his way." He drags along the captured Jedi. Master Koth looks extremely weak, not even able to get himself off the floor, much less escape Grievous' grip.

"And even better, a leading member of your Jedi Council," General Grievous continues. "Listen to me, Jedi, I do not care about your politics. I do not care about your Republic." He tosses Master Koth to the floor. "I only live to see you die."

A MagnaGuard walks up, spinning his electro-charged staff a few times, and plunges it at Master Koth's back. I don't care to watch the torture, instead hiding my face with my hand to avoid it. The unfortunate thing is, I can still hear the Jedi's painful groaning, even if I don't see him. Grievous is a merciless machine. Once the pained cries stop, I look at the hologram again.

"But death will not come so easily to Master Koth. I will make him suffer endlessly, because I know that is more painful for you all," Grievous says, and follows up his statement with short bursts of laughter, then the transmission ends.

The room grows into a jumble of murmurs, most of which mentioning the heartless general's actions and how horrible they are. At least the Republic doesn't torture our enemies when they're caught, I tell myself. If only we were dealing with that kind of humanity.

"Away with the younglings," Master Yoda orders. Ahsoka and Barriss Offee, her friend, walk them out of the room.

Ahsoka and Barriss have been friends since the Second Battle of Geonosis, where they nearly risked their lives. Anakin was a distraught by their closeness to death at the time, but got over it eventually. I felt just the same, though Master Luminara tried to tell us to let go.

"Much there is to discuss."

Obi-Wan strokes his beard, thinking. He seems to do that a lot, I've noticed. Maybe it's a habit from stress or otherwise. Perhaps he's just proud of the beard. I'm just realizing how much time I've spent with him, Anakin, Ahsoka, and most of our battalions. I pick up on such things, when I wouldn't a few years ago.

"It's time someone finally put an end to that monster," Anakin says, his frustration obvious by just the tone of his voice. To be fair, Grievous almost took me hostage a few months ago, so I well understand his resentment.