chapter 48

Guilt is an ally of grief.

After scoping out threats in the lower levels, Anakin, Ahsoka, Caleb, Obi-Wan and I walk through the alleyways of the Coruscant underworld, approaching our shuttle. Today has been relatively light in that sense—we've had no arrests to make yet. But Obi-Wan is hurrying us back to the ship, to the Temple.

"So what's the big rush?" Anakin asks Master Kenobi.

"The Jedi Council has called an emergency meeting," he says.

Anakin sighs. "I can see it now. Another long, boring debate."

"Would you rather go in and train younglings?" I add.

"Are you crazy?" he chuckles.

Suddenly, the sound of gunfire rains over us. Caleb and I bank right with Obi-Wan, hiding behind a pile of crates. Anakin and Ahsoka do the same across from us. The shots seem more concentrated on our position, so I try my best to keep Caleb safe and alive.

"Any idea where that shot came from?" asks Obi-Wan.

Ahsoka glances up and points to where I can only assume the gunner was. "A sniper," she says. "I see him up there."

"All right, here's the plan. Anakin, you flank him on the right. Caleb and Ahsoka, cover the lower streets. Y/n, watch my back, I'm going after him."

We nod and jump out from our positions. Caleb joins Ahsoka as they run down the streets, meanwhile I continue to follow Obi-Wan.

We scale up one of the buildings quickly and sneak around as the sniper shoots at us. Master Kenobi catch a glimpse of the attacker and start chasing him. Unfortunately, as any proper criminal would, he's wearing a helmet that both hides and protects his face. I don't think I've seen this guy before.

After a while, he escapes our line of view and I crouch down to hide. Obi-Wan leans closely against some sort of pipe.

"I lost him!" says Anakin on our comms channel. "Obi-Wan, y/n, do you have anything?"

Master Kenobi catches his breath for a moment before carefully leaving the hiding spot and heading out in the open. That seems like a reckless idea, which is evidently not his speed. But if there's one thing I can count on Obi-Wan to do, it's so somehow create trouble unintentionally.

I notice the sniper up ahead aiming for him and know we don't have much time. "Master Kenobi!" I yell in an attempt to warn him.

It's too late. The sniper fires a shot which hits him right in the chest.

"Ah!" Obi-Wan grunts as he falls over the edge of the building.

I run to the edge and jump down, joining my padawan and Ahsoka.

"Obi-Wan!" Anakin yells from the other building in worry.

"We're fine! Go!" I order.

He follows my word and starts running after the assassin as I approach Obi-Wan's body. I try to feel around his chest for a heartbeat or signs of breathing, but there is nothing. One minute, we were in the chase, and now, he's comepletely still and silent.

I merely sense Caleb and Ahsoka crouching down beside me. I can't peel my eyes away from the body in my arms. There must have been something I should've done. I could've screamed louder, used the Force to push back the assassin, taken out my lightsaber to deflect the shot.

But now it is too late.

Obi-Wan died, defenceless, though he could have defended himself. Why didn't he? He knew the sniper was there, and yet I saw only the hilt of his lightsaber in his hand during his final moments. How does he still look peaceful, despite having been shot dead?