chapter 42

Grief is a timely process.

We continue to make our way along the old tunnels and plan out an escape strategy along the journey. There were more logistics discussed back on Coruscant, which we should all know. Ahsoka should, as well, if Master Plo told her to join the mission.

We'll have to go through the fuel line and have Master Kenobi's group meet us to fly out in the shuttle that brought us to the Citadel. That's the ideal plan. Of course, ideal is not always realistic. In our case, whatever will get us off Lola Sayu is good.

Anakin ordered Artoo to set the ship in position as we navigated through our course. He's gone ahead of the group, concealing himself in case any threats arise. Meanwhile, Ahsoka and I lead our squad around the path.

Anakin jumps down and disables a probe that was following us, proving that our presence won't continue to go undetected. Even with Obi-Wan's team making sure they are the ones seen, we have been noticed. I know that, when destroyed, probe droids can still send out transmissions. Now, the enemy knows where we are.

"I am beginning to admire the design of this fortress," says Captain Tarkin. "It's rather formidable to evade." Honestly, it is. That's the Citadel's purpose. It's to take in Jedi who have lost their way, and keep them in to not harm anyone. Anyone but themselves.

"How can you admire such a horrible place?" Ahsoka asks him, then looks around at the lava and canyons surrounding us. They seem never-ending.

"Ah, you reveal your shortsightedness," adds Tarkin with a raised finger. "This ordeal only demonstrates how effective facilities like the Citadel are. Pity it ended up in Separatist hands and not ours."

I step up to get closer to the front of the line. "I will admit, it is effective," I say. "However, we as Jedi will not stand for the torture and atrocities that go on in such an establishment."

"Such measures must be taken to ensure its success."

"Captain Tarkin, unlike you, we favour our morals before success," I remark, keeping my eyes ahead to resist shooting Tarkin a glare. "Morality helps us keep our sanity. You should try it someday."

I slow my pace and join Ahsoka before Captain Tarkin can say anything in response. Anakin has already caught up to her, and I can tell they've had some sort of disagreement from the tense energy surrounding the two.

He turns to me with a small nod, then back to Ahsoka. "All right, Snips, I need you to lead the group," he says. "Keep following the tunnel. I'll catch up."

"Hey, where are you going?" asks Ahsoka, stalling Anakin.

"Obi-Wan's not here, so someone has to protect our flank," Anakin answers.

"But what about y/n?" Ahsoka says, gesturing towards me. "Can't she lead the squad instead?" It isn't smart to have more than one Jedi in the same place at the same time, that's something I've learned over the past few months. We're safer if we split up.

I glance back at Anakin, then Ahsoka, trying to find a way to explain myself properly. "Well, I...I'll stay at the back," I say. "I can keep watch for any intruders, and step in immediately."

"Right," my husband adds.

Ahsoka shrugs, and we take it as a signal to fall back. Once we're behind everyone, Anakin leaps up to a nearby ridge, getting a better view of our surroundings.

I stay behind Fives and Echo, looking back and forth for any suspicious activity. I have not seen anything yet, but I do not doubt the probe has sent out a call for reinforcements. It's certain we've been spotted, so all I can do is fight off the enemy forces that will arise.