chapter 41

Surprises can be both a blessing and a curse.

I slowly open my eyes as sunlight hits me in the face. I have to say that I'm much less graceful nowadays when it comes to waking up. Even with my blinds drawn and windows sealed, the outside light manages to peek through.

"Good morning," I say groggily, pushing Anakin's arm off of me as he wakes up. I know he's already awake, as he lets out a low groan. I roll over to my right, leaving me to face him.

"Morning," Anakin replies, his eyes slowly opening while his brows raise. As soon as his gaze meets mine, his face softens into a sweet smile. I can't help but smile back, my head sinking back into the pillow.

I push the loose hair out of his face, and it feels about as soft as usual. "Your hair's getting long," I notice.

"Yeah," says my husband, pushing up his arm to rest his head on his fist, "I'll have to do something about it." That's not a good idea. Definitely not. And I stand by that opinion firmly.

"Don't," I say with a small shake of my head. "It looks good that way."

Anakin rolls his eyes subtly. "Maybe to you, but I'm starting to think it looks like a hot mess."

"Hm," I chuckle, trying to think of a way to retaliate against his attitude. "Matches your personality."

"Hey!" Anakin hits my arm and I wince a little before hitting him back.

"I'm kidding!" I scoff.

His comlink beeps from my nightstand. I reach over and hand it to him. I only hear a muffled voice from the device as Anakin sits up on the edge of the bed and answers it. I can't make out who it is or what they're saying, but I know from his urgency that it's something important.

I wonder who would call Anakin Skywalker—the Chosen One; the Hero With No Fear; the Republic's Poster Boy—when light is barely raining through the thin clouds above Coruscant. I think Obi-Wan is one of the only people brave enough to bother him like that, but there's no image of him on the comlink.

Besides, if there were, he'd probably scold Anakin to put a shirt on.

"All right, Rex," says Anakin. Rex, really? Him? Maybe he's called Anakin to tell me something, since he knows I'm back on Coruscant and my comm is offline. "I'll be right there."

"General y/l/n is also requested to attend the meeting," I hear from the other end of the line. I recognize Rex's voice and know Anakin is not playing a prank on me, which makes me hold back a groan already. Work. Ugh. I've been back for less than a day!

I roll my eyes and pull the covers over my face, trying to hide from responsibility. I don't make a sound, knowing that Rex would know I'm here if I did.

"I'll let her know," Anakin's muffled voice replies, and the familiar chime of the comlink rings again, concluding the transmission.

I don't move, still, but let out a loud sigh, pulling the covers tigher to my face. I close my eyes and try to fall back asleep, but my attempt is useless. I'm already awake, and my body is far too stubborn to let me sleep again.

There's a shift on the bed, and I drop the blanket from my hands, letting it drape over me aimlessly. Anakin lifts it over to reveal my face, and I look at him in the soft, filtered light surrounding us.

"Meeting in the war room, now," he whispers with a raised eyebrow, inciting me to come along.

"Five more minutes," I complain, pushing my head back into the pillow. I may not be able to sleep, but I'd rather spend a few more minutes in bed than go to a war briefing.