chapter 33

Sacrifice may seem like a necessity when all hope is lost.

Blue smoke rushes through the corridor, trying to catch up to us. Deadly smoke. Contagious smoke. Anakin, from where I can feel him in the Force, is already up on the surface above the lab.

We're trapped.

Padmé and Jar Jar aren't with us, but I think they'll be all right. They had protective suits to fend off the virus, let's just hope they last. I assume they had suits when investigating for the lab, at least. I'm not sure. Senator Amidala usually takes those kinds of precautious, despite being stubborn sometimes.

Back to the main threat. Doors slide closed on all sides, keeping us safe, trapping us, as well. One of the bombs, reloaded with a vial carried by a droid, was set off. Now, the blue shadow virus is free, loose inside the lab.

The virus only has one goal: spread. Spread like wildfire. And that's what it's about to do. What it's also about to do is try and kill us.

"There's the safe room!" Captain Rex exclaims. A vault-looking chamber is ahead of us, surely strong enough to be sealed. Air-tight. Like an airlock. But that might be a flaw if we're ever to escape.

"No chance!"

We reach the doors, which slide inwards, closing quickly. "Hurry!" Rex yells. "The doors are closing!"

I dive inside, narrowly avoiding getting cut in half and standing on my feet immediately. I hold my hands out, keeping the door open using the Force. The troopers start jumping in, holding onto the door with their arms.

"Don't worry," Ahsoka assures from the other side. She copies me, helping to keep the door at least a smidge open. "Get inside, Captain."

"Ahsoka!" I exclaim. "I can handle this, get in!" The blue cloud slowly creeps in closer, almost touching her. "Now!"

Ahsoka lets go, knowing everyone's through, and jumps through the door. The gap is about a foot and a half now, but she's small enough to squeeze through. I release the door, and a bit of the virus cloud creeps into the safe room. Let's hope that isn't enough to kill us.

Ahsoka stands up, and answers a call from her comlink. "Ahsoka, what is going on down there?" Anakin asks, his voice ringing from the device.

That's when I remember; I don't have my comlink. It got destroyed. So this would be the only way to contact anyone, through Ahsoka, or Rex, or the other clones. By anyone, I'm mostly worried about contacting Anakin.

"The droids released the virus, but we managed to seal the lab," Ahsoka states.

"What about y/n?"

"I'm here," I say, walking right next to Ahsoka. I'm half-panting from running through the whole lab. "We're in the safe room. Padmé and Jar Jar aren't with us, we got separated."

"Anakin? Y/n?" Padmé says on the comms channel. She must've gotten a comlink somehow. Maybe from Anakin or Obi-Wan. "Can anyone hear me?"

"We hear you, Senator Amidala," I assure. "Are you and Representative Binks all right?"

"Yes, for the time being. We were in a safety chamber when the alarm went off. We're wearing protective suits."

"The virus is loose," Anakin states, "but Ahsoka and y/n have sealed off the entire facility."

"Yes, but any remaining droids will try to break out."

"We'll do everything in our power to stop them," I add. "That virus can't get loose."