chapter 50

Soldiers are nothing without proper lessons.

It's been months since Obi-Wan's falsified death, and we've largely recovered from it. The war has escalated more and more throughout our galaxy over these past few months.

Every loss we endure is just as painful as every battle we win through violence. People are dying: clones are dying, Jedi are dying; but the conflict is far from over.

Tonight, we've been called in to attend a Council meeting regarding a transmission from the planet of Onderon. Local militias have been trying to overrun the current king, who aligned the planet with the Confederacy of Independent Systems—also known as the Separatist Alliance.

We stand in the center of the room beside our padawans, surrounded by most of the members of the High Council; although some are too occupied with battles of their own. It's been a while since we attended a meeting with the full Council.

The holo beside us displays two men: one has dark brown skin—visible even with the holo's blue hue—pale, piercing eyes and sharp features; the other is younger, with fair skin and a significantly less dominant attitude. I know the latter to be Lux Bonteri. Padmé was close with his mother, Mina Bonteri, former Separatist senator, until she perished at the hand of Count Dooku.

I also know Ahsoka has been acquainted with Lux on a few occasions, one of which having occurred after his mother's death. She's refused to elaborate on the subject, but I do know they parted ways abruptly.

I have no idea how he ended up with these rebels on Onderon, but he did.

"Unfortunately, the only way to reclaim Onderon will be through an armed struggle," Bonteri says. "But we lack sufficient hardware and supplies."

"Onderon is in your king's rule," Obi-Wan says, "and at the outbreak of the Clone War, he chose to align it with the Separatists."

"Our true king has been silenced," the other rebel interjects. "The one you recognize is a traitor and a Separatist minion. We need your help to survive this."

I notice Ahsoka glancing back at the hologram continuously, and although I am intrigued, I try to ignore it.

"Find a way... we shall," Master Yoda says.

"We await your answer." Lux bows his head and waits a moment before ending the transmission.

"There are pockets of rebels on many of these planets that just need guidance," Anakin says. "With training and resources, they could attack soft targets while the Republic continues to engage them on the battlefield."

"That sounds like terrorism, Anakin," Obi-Wan refutes.

"Well I think of it as an insurgency to help realign these planets with the Republic."

I think of this as a decent idea that has its risks. Training rebels may incite—as Obi-Wan stated—terrorism throughout the Republic or the Confederacy, which in both cases is unnacceptable. But then again, we are in the midst of a war, and the Jedi are Onderon's last hope.

"We can divide the Separatist forces and press them on two fronts," Master Windu says.

"A means to an end fear cannot be. Stop those who spread terror the Jedi must."

"I agree," I add. "However, these rebels know their home planets more than we do. With the right knowledge, they could bring their society back to what's best for its people."

"What you're suggesting would open up dangerous possibilities," Obi-Wan counters. "And we must not train terrorists."

"Rebels," I correct.