chapter 30

Tolerance is a virtue.

"Mmm. Y/n," Anakin groans, half asleep. He sighs. "What happened?"

I sit up to realize we fell asleep on the floor, but not in the grand hall, instead, we're tied up around our hands and waists. We got captured. What a surprise. Maybe I should've listened to Count Dooku... No. He's a Sith Lord. Sith are liars, it's what they do, they can't be trusted.

"Whatever was in our drinks must've been pretty strong," I say, looking down at my tied hands.

"I only took a sip," my husband excuses. I don't have an amazing memory, but I can distinctly remember him drinking pretty quickly. Granted, I did the same, but it shouldn't have been enough to knock us out.

"We were drugged, idiot," I scoff, raising an eyebrow.

"Why would they risk losing the ransom?"

"I guess their deal changed. Hondo's gonna triple his profits."

"A shrewd observation, young y/l/n," I hear behind me. I turn around to see Count Dooku, tied to us. Oh, this is going to be a treat.

"Oh, great. It's you," Anakin snarls.

"I did warn you these pirates were devious. You will notice our shackles are bound together. I have tried to separate us... to no avail."

"It's bad enough we have to be in the same cell, but could you at least spare me the sound of your constant chatter?" Anakin stands up.

I also stand, pushing my arm out in front of him to prevent any more trouble. "Let's all just... calm down," I suggest.

"And while I hold my tongue, the two of you will devise a brilliant strategy for getting off this godforsaken planet?"

"Yes," we say simultaneously. I don't know if I'll make up a plan, but anything to stop Dooku from talking, and stop Anakin from killing him, will be worth the risk.

"Excellent."

A quick look around barely helped to lift my spirits. The small lights are dim, and there are no windows, at least, none in this cell. I think there are windows in the corridor, but none here. I'd like some light, it might hinder Dooku's attempt at being dramatic by staying in the shadows.

The walls are painted a boring maroon and blue. It's ironic, that Anakin and I sort of match those colours with our outfits. Even so, the shades in this cell seem bleak. Maybe they're just less vibrant, or worn down by the harsh climate. Maybe it's the scratch marks riddling the walls.

Our shackles must be my least favourite, non-sentient, thing in this room. They glow with waves of blue energy, like Anakin's lightsaber, but instead, these restrict us. Honestly, I think I'd rather be back on Dooku's pathetic excuse of a ship. At least we were alone in there.

I had no issue with these pirates, many of them probably did these dealings to survive. My issue was being stuck with such a dark presence as Dooku, especially after what he did to us on Geonosis. I don't hate anyone, for anything, but he gets me pretty close to that point sometimes.

***

The imprisonment was quite boring; Anakin and I could barely talk out of unease around the count, and I was in no mood to speak to Dooku, ever again. I would've enjoyed talking, had it not been for the company. It's always nice to wind down, have a casual conversation. But not in front of a Sith Lord.

We stood around the cell door and watched as he attempted to get us out of this mess. Dooku turned his attention to a fruit platter nearby.

"Don't you think our priority should be escape first, eat second?" Anakin comments.