Something Really Really Selfish

Lizzie decided that she needed some time separate from each boy. She just kept telling Riley that she was busy.

She didn't want to just start avoiding Bucky again so she decided to explain first.

She knocks on the door of the Barnes' house.
Rebecca opens the door.

"Hey, Lizzie! You looking for Bucky?" Rebecca asks.

"Yes, actually," Lizzie says.

"He's in his room, you can just head up," Rebecca says.

Lizzie walks up the stairs to his bedroom. The door is closed so she decides to knock.

"Go away Rebecca!" Bucky yells.

"It's not Rebecca," Lizzie says.

She hears him run to the door and then quickly flings it open.

"Hi," Bucky says out of breath.

"Hi, can I come in?" Lizzie asks.

"Yeah," Bucky says.

He opens the door and she doesn't know what to do. He sits in his desk chair so she decides to perch lightly on the edge of his desk.

"Is this a good talk or a bad talk?" Bucky asks.

"It depends on how you take it," Lizzie says.

Bucky stays quiet but gestures for her to go on.

"I'm in love with you, you deserve to know that first and foremost," Lizzie says.

Bucky wants to kiss her so bad at her confession but he can tell from her face that there's a but coming.

"But?" Bucky says.

"You terrify me," Lizzie admits.

Bucky's heart falls, he thought they had gotten over what happened last summer.

She can see exactly how he took her words and quickly reassures him.

"I'm not scared of you. I'm scared of us. Of what we could become. The love I feel for you scares me because you have the ability to destroy me," Lizzie admits.

"You know I would never hurt you," Bucky says.

"I know that but you may hurt me without meaning to. We are so different which makes us work so well together most of the time but the times where we disagree... we have the components for a ticking time bomb," Lizzie says.

"Are you staying with him?" Bucky asks.

"I don't know, I'm not going to go out with him anymore until I decide though. I know that's not the answer you want but it's the only one I have right now," Lizzie says

As much as Bucky wants to fight with her, he knows that will get them nowhere. He wants her to be absolutely sure he's what she wants. He doesn't want her to have regrets down the road and resent him for it.

"I told you, you're the love of my life. If it takes waiting a little longer, so be it," Bucky says.

This almost breaks Lizzie's resolve. She can see that all Bucky wants to do is fight but he is respecting her decision.

"Can I do something really really selfish before I go?" Lizzie asks.

"Anything," Bucky says.

And Bucky wasn't lying. There's not much this girl could ask him for that he wouldn't grant her.

"Can I kiss you?" Lizzie asks.

He gives her a nod. She leans over, bending down to his height and presses her lips to his.