You Got Your Happy Ending

"I'm not telling you the whole story," Bucky says.

Rebecca immediately protests.

"Yes, you are. You owe me this!" She yells.

"No, I don't owe you anything. I did what I had to do to protect my family and I won't apologize for it," he says.

Rebecca automatically deflates at Bucky's statement.

"I'm your family," Rebecca says sadly.

Bucky sighs because that's not what he meant.

"We are family but if I have to choose between lying to you or protecting them, I have to choose them. You were safe and happy without me so I felt there was no need to interrupt that," he says.

"I don't understand why my knowing you are alive would endanger your family," she says.

"That's what I'm going to explain. I'm going to show you why it's so dangerous that you know but I won't tell you everything. If this information gets out, not only my family but yours will be in danger as well," he says.

Rebecca knows whatever he's about to say is going to be bad but she has to know.

"Fine, tell me what you can," she huffs.

Bucky knows that Steve doesn't know how much to actually tell of the story. Bucky leans over, covering his mouth with his hands so Rebecca can't see his mouth and whispers in Steve's ear.

"You came out of the ice in 1949 and you saved me from Hydra. Be vague so you aren't lying," Bucky says.

Steve looks at Bucky in hesitation but then he nods. This is his sister so he gets to call the shots.

Bucky turns to Rebecca and starts the story.

"In 1945 I was taken by the scientific sector of the nazi party known as Hydra. When I fell from the train, I miraculously survived and Hydra captured me," Bucky says.

Bucky rolls up his left sleeve and shows Rebecca his arm. She gasps at the sight of a metal limb in place of his arm.

"I lost my arm in the fall so Hydra replaced it with this. They experimented on me and used electricity to erase my memories. They brainwashed me and used me as an assassin. I was their biggest success," Bucky says.

Bucky looks over at Steve to start his part.

"Obviously you know that I went through quite the physical change when I entered the war. That was because of a serum that a doctor injected in me. It gave me rapid healing and super speed and strength. When my plane crashed, the ice froze me in place but the serum protected me so I survived. Years later, I was found in the ice and unfrozen. Soon after that, I found Bucky and helped him escape Hydra. It took awhile to get rid of his brainwashing but when we did, we were able to come back to Peggy and Lizzie," he says.

Every bit of the story they just told was true but they just edited the timeline a bit. The more she knew, the more dangerous it would be for all of them.

Rebecca sits in silence and digests everything she was just told. Her brother was tortured for four years and no one knew.

"I need you to understand why this has to be a secret. If Hydra finds out I'm alive, they will do whatever it takes to get me back. They have no qualms about hurting children so if this gets out, both of our familiar are at risk. You can't tell Jack or your children anything. James Buchanan Barnes is dead and that's how it has to remain. Do you understand?" Bucky says.

This is a secret that Rebecca will have to keep for the rest of her life. She will have to hide if from everyone because she understands how dangerous the alternative will be. She briefly wonders if it would have been better if she didn't know but she immediately dismisses the thought.