I Rather Skip The Pleasantries

Bucky and Lizzie quickly decided on the plan to meet up with Royce but Lizzie knew she had to contact Riley first.

The phone call with Riley was very brief. She gave him the details to pass on to Royce. To an outsider, it would seem as if the conversation was taking place between strangers.

"Anything else you want me to pass along?" Riley asks.

"No, that's all," Lizzie responds.

"Bye, Elizabeth," Riley says.

She can tell he's about to hang up the phone but she has one more thing she wants to say.

"Wait! Riley?" Lizzie says.

The line is silent for a second and she thinks that maybe he already hung up.

"Yes," he says.

"I'm sorry. I know that's not enough to make up for all I've done to you but it's true," Lizzie says.

"I can't forgive you yet but I consider myself fortunate," Riley says.

"Fortune?" Lizzie asks in confusion.

"I am one of only two men who will ever receive the affection of the Elizabeth Rogers,"Riley says.

She would feel better if he said this bitterly but instead he says it wistfully, longingly. His tone just makes her feel worse.

"Goodbye, Lizzie," he says.

"Bye," she says quietly.

She sits for a moment just listening to the dial tone.

She looks over and sees Bucky hanging in the doorway.

"Everything set on Riley's end?" Bucky asks.

"Yes," Lizzie says absently.

"What's wrong?" Bucky asks.

"I wish he didn't love me. It would make all of this so much simpler if he could just hate me. I don't know why I deserve the love of two amazing men," Lizzie says.

"I can't speak for Riley but I couldn't help falling in love with you. It felt like a losing battle ever since you called me Jaime for the first time. It's an honor to love you and an even bigger honor to be loved by you," Bucky says.

"I don't know if I believe in soulmates but if I did, it be you. Maybe if you didn't exist, I could love him but you do so I can't. I think we were made to love only each other as crazy as that sounds," Lizzie says.

"Well, I do believe in soulmates and I know you are mine as crazy at that sounds," Bucky responds.

Before Bucky, Lizzie was always confused when she read about great romances in her books. She didn't understand how a love can surpass time and reason but she understands now.

No matter what happens, she will be forever tied to him. It's terrifying but also exhilarating.

The days pass and finally it becomes time to meet up with Royce.

Lizzie and Bucky leave the house and make their way to the diner that they are supposed to meet Royce at.

They decided to meet at the diner because it was very public. It was also within sight of the sheriffs office.

They arrive a little early but are surprised to see that Royce is already sitting at a booth.

He looks a lot older than he did five years ago but it was still blatantly obvious who he was.

He looks up but he stays seated. They can tell he is trying to remain as unthreatening as possible. He sits with his hands on the table so they can see he isn't hiding anything.