You're Going To Be A Great Husband

The next couple years remain the same for Bucky and Lizzie.

Bucky works at the gym while Lizzie goes to school and works at the hospital.

They remain blissfully in love. Sure, they have their share of arguments but they are quickly resolved.

Lizzie is usually up at dawn to get to school and then stays at the hospital until late. She hates that she spends so many hours away from Bucky but it is necessary in order to pay for school.

Lizzie loves school. She never felt really challenged in high school but that is definitely not the case in medical school.

She is having trouble with some of the professors due to her gender. She knew that she would have to demand respect and for the most part she has. Her work ethic speaks for itself.

On July 6th, 1939, Lizzie and Bucky celebrate their four year anniversary.

Bucky had saved up and bought a new silver chain for Lizzie's necklace. The one he bought for her almost nine years ago rusted so bad that it finally broke. Lizzie was so distraught it broke, that she cried.

Lizzie gave him yet another edition of "The Story of Jamie Barnes and Ellie Rogers".

The comic books written by Lizzie and Steve were one of Bucky's most prized possessions. He just received the ninth copy of "The Adventures of Bucky Barnes and The Rogers Twins" for his birthday.

He couldn't believe that he was now twenty two and Lizzie was twenty one. They were grown ups now.

He honestly couldn't believe that Rebecca was now eighteen and graduated from high school. She even had a high school sweetheart that she was still with.

It took some time but Bucky and his dad finally patched up their relationship. His father still wanted to see Bucky and Lizzie married with kids, but he no longer disapproved of their coupling.

Lizzie had two nights off from work a week. One of them was dedicated to Steve and the other was dedicated to the Barnes'.

They were at the Barnes' house for dinner when Rebecca made an announcement.

She brought her boyfriend to dinner. His name was Jack and Lizzie thought he was perfect for Rebecca.

Bucky wasn't convinced but what big brother approves of their sister's boyfriend?

Well, other than Steve.

"Mom and dad already know but I wanted to tell Liz and Bucky together. Jack and I are getting married," Rebecca says.

"Married?! You're too young to get married," Bucky says.

"That's what I said," Richard grumbles.

"You proposed to me when I was seventeen," Lizzie points out.

"And we're not married are we? You can't honestly say we were ready to be married when we got engaged," Bucky says.

"No, but we are a special circumstance and we had an understanding. Rebecca and Jack are not us," Lizzie says.

"Thank you, Liz. Also, I love you Bucky but you don't really get a say in this. I would be really happy if you were on board with this," Rebecca says.

Bucky and Rebecca stare each other down, trying to get the other to cave. Bucky finally relents.

"Fine, I'm not happy about it but I'll support it," Bucky says.

Later that night, Lizzie brings up a question that has been on her mind since dinner.