Nod If You Understand

The Winter Soldier spent over a week gathering intelligence. Unfortunately, the land surrounding Rogers' home was very open and the tree line was quite far from the property so all he could do during the day was observe.

He noticed that Rogers has a husband and two small children and that her neighbors are a married couple with one child. They seem to visit a lot so they assume they have somewhat of a relationship with the neighbors.

He can never get close enough to see their faces but he can tell the men are quite large. The men never leave the home which makes it impossible to scope out the houses. He was told no witnesses so he cannot get caught. He must be a ghost.

He knows that his only opportunity to get some answers will be to enter the house at night. He needs to find a way to lure the girl out so he can find out what she knows. He worries that she'll be difficult but he can tell that one well placed threat to her family and she'll tell him anything he wants to know. A second threat and she'll never breathe a word of it again.

Through watching the windows at night, he notices that when the babies cry, Rogers is usually the one to go in to feed them. He knows that this will be his opportunity.

He waits until the couple is asleep for a couple hours before slipping through the nursery window silently. The children are asleep and he has a vague interest in them. It's been years since he's last seen a child up close. He can't even really remember a time where he has seen a child.

He looks at one of the children and it is obvious he carries the resemblance of Rogers. He has blond waves that cover his head and her dainty nose and full lips. He tries to look for something that belongs to the father in the infants face but he never got a close enough look at the husband to identify it.

He looks at the second child and freezes. It's impossible but the second child looks like him. He has his same exact shade of brown hair but with curls that he inherited from Rogers. The shape of his mouth and chin are similar to his own. If he didn't know any better, he would say that this child is his because the resemblance is so off-putting. He even has the exact shade of blue eyes that he himself has.

That's when he realizes that the child's eyes are open. He waits for him to cry to alert his parents that there is a stranger in his room but it makes no noise. The baby looks up at him with almost trust. He looks at him in familiarity which seems extremely strange to him.

He however doesn't really understand children so maybe that kind of behavior is normal. He thought babies cried at everything.

The boy stands in the crib while holding the bars and opens and closes his fists towards him. It looks like the baby wants him to pick him up but there is no way he'll do that. The baby doesn't cry when it looks at him but begins to cry when all he does is stare at it.

Lizzie hears JJ start to cry and figured it was time to feed him. Bucky had a panic attack earlier that day and he was completely wiped out so he didn't even stir when JJ started crying or when Lizzie got out of bed. She placed a quick kiss to Bucky's bare shoulder before quickly getting out of bed and walking down the hall.

When she walks into the nursery, JJ is standing while holding the bars of his crib. He started doing that a few months after he started crawling. She still can't believe how fast the babies are growing. She notices Steven is now sitting up and crying because his brother woke him up.

Steven usually only cries when he's hungry or when JJ is upset. However, JJ cries a lot so therefore Steven cries a lot. She goes to grab JJ first because she figures that if she calms him down then Steven will settle too.

The Winter Soldier stays in the shadows. He decides to let the mother get the children back to sleep before enacting his plan because if the children keep crying, it is sure to alert the father.