Chapter 6

The soft morning light lit the road up just enough to drive back to the prison. It amazed me how soft nature could be if it wanted to be. Then on the other hand, how cruel and harsh it could be.

I guess you could say the same about people. That sometimes if you're lucky you can see the softer side of people. But just like the weather you can see the cruel and hardened side of them in an instance.

I consider myself lucky to see the softer side of Daryl last night. But I don't expect to see it in the near future. Frankly I don't expect to see it ever again. If he mentally followed the same rules I did, you don't get involved with people.... ever.

"Stay on the bike." Hearing Daryl's voice, I shook my head bringing myself out of a daze.

Looking around I noticed that we were already back at the prison gate. He already parked the bike and was making his way over to slide open the fence.

Walkers that were pushing on the fence further down soon stopped and slowly turned making their way to Daryl. Turning my gaze to him, I noticed he was having a difficult time sliding the gate open allowing walkers to get closer. To close for comfort.

Running a hand threw my hair; I grabbed the pistol out of my thigh strap. Cocking it back, I pulled my leg over the bike. Wincing from the pain, I bit down on my cheek as I pushed myself on my feet.

Ignoring Daryl's instructions I slowly limped over to the gate. Lacing my fingers with the metal I helped him pull the gate open enough for his bike to get thru.

"Ye don't listen do ye?" He snapped as he pulled away from the fence.

Scrunching up my face, I mocked him as he walked away. If he was going to be a jerk, I can defiantly be a jerk. Two can play this game.

All those thoughts disappeared though when I saw the walker behind him. He didn't notice the thing, probably because I was defying him letting his mind wander from the situation at hand. Without thinking I brought the pistol up and pulled the trigger.

The shot rang out in the quiet landscape. It was louder than I remembered it. I don't get to use it often, I'd rather shoot my bow but dick head took it from me.

Heaving a sigh, I watched as the walker dropped to the ground, motionless. Daryl stood still as the walker dropped. Probably unsure what happened.

"You're welcome!" I shouted before, turning around squeezing my way through the opening.

Slowly making my way up the gravel road I kept the pistol in my hand. I heard the engine behind me start then stop once again. He was probably closing and locking the gate. He could close it himself this time; I wasn't in the mood to help. Not if he was just going to be a jerk. I just wanted to sit down and take this fucking arrow out of my leg.... Shane wasn't in my thoughts as I continued to make my way closer to the prison.

By the time I managed my way to the second gate, Daryl was riding slowly behind me. Revving the engine every once in awhile.

Stopping, I turned and glared at him. Putting my hands on my hips, I met his eyes.

"You keep that up, I'll walk slower." He didn't say anything, so I turned and kept walking.

Pulling open the final gate, I noticed everyone standing outside. They all must have heard the gun shot. It was interesting seeing their faces though. Some with wide eyes, others with speechless expressions. One with the look of pure shock. My eyes met Shane’s; he looked like he saw a ghost. It was quite amusing actually.

Smirking, I pushed forward till I was met by Rick. His hands were hovering over my body, looking for any wound that resembled a bite mark.

"Shane said you got over come with walkers. He said you were dead." Rick almost whispered to me as his eyes roamed my body.