Chapter 24

Sitting there in the chair I watched as Jenner made his way to the door. Pushing it open he stuck his head out and looked in both directions before turning his attention back on me.

"C'mon." He motioned for me to come, but I didn't. I just continued to sit there, my eyes intently watching him.

After several seconds Jenner shut the door and made his way over to me. Running a hand down his tired, warn face as he let out a sigh.

"Do you know what he's even going to do? Killing you isn't the start Hadley." Sitting down next to me, I met his gaze. "He has some room set up. Chains on the walls, surgical tools strapped down to tables." I could tell he was shaking off his mental imagine of the governors torture room as he talked to me. His voice slurred his words together, making it hard to understand. Since I've spent a substantial amount of time around Jenner, I knew he didn't think anything good was going to come from this situation. Especially if I didn't leave while his offer was still standing.

"I can't." My words were almost a whisper as looked away. Letting my hands lace together.

"Why not?" He shook his head in disbelief. Not really comprehending the words I just told him. Frankly I didn't blame him, I'm sure any sane person would have jumped at the chance to leave.

"If I leave, he's going to kill..." Just thinking about what he could do to everyone at the prison had me swallowing the growing lump in my throat. "He's just going to kill some important people for me. They are all I have left...."

I watched as his eyebrow furrowed before letting another sigh escape his lips.

"Then why did they let him take you?" He finally asked, lowering his voice as several footsteps pasted the door.

"I offered." Just seeing his facial expression made me chuckle. I guess he wasn't expecting me to say that I just gave myself over. That would be suicide, but when he's threatening a group you consider your family... You'd do just about anything to stop it from happening.

"They are my family Jenner." As my words hit him a frown formed on his face. He knew that I had one rule, and it was a rule he gave me. Never get involved, it gets you killed. "I know, I broke the rule." Holding my hand up I waved off his thought, hoping to drop this topic. Unfortunately I didn't have such luck.

"Look what you got yourself into Had." Gazing up at him, I felt my lips pull into a hard line. No one calls me Had except Daryl. A small nickname he gave me when I first arrived at the group. I really never thought much of it until Jenner said it out loud.

In his own way Daryl was trying to open up to me. Giving me a nickname, letting me ride on his bike, showing the softer side to him. Things that when I look back on it, he hasn't done for anyone else.

"I got myself into this mess Jenner, I can get myself out." Giving a slight shrug, I leaned back in the chair. Letting my head lean against the cold metal of the head rest. "I managed this long haven't I?" It was stupid for me to ask that, given the fact I was still alive and breathing in front of him. But I felt the need to say it.

"I suppose you have." Out of the corner of my eye I watched him get to his feet. Shoving his hands into his lab coat pockets he made his way to the door. Just before opening it he turned back and looked at me. His eyes hidden in the darkness so I couldn't make out what he was thinking. "My offer still stands."

As the words left his mouth the door swung open revealing the governor standing there. His hands on his hips, his eyes darting between the two of us. Searching for something, something that I would never be able to understand. His mind was too sick and twisted, to even know where to begin.