Chapter 17

The song over there is what inspired this chapter, I listened to it the whole time I wrote.

-----------------------

My eyes fell on the group as I got closer. Most were sitting there, their hands fidgeting. Others were standing, watching me get close.

Before I even got with in five feet of them Gage came up to me. But unlike old times, he didn't greet me as the same happy dog. His teeth were bared and a deep growl was emanating from his throat. His ears were pushed back and he looked like he was going to rip me apart at any second. Guess he knew what was up too.

"Gage." Merle whistled, calling my dog over to him. Reluctantly Gage left me and headed for Merle. Who quickly took him by the collar and put him outside.

"It's true then?" Lori was the first one to speak up, her hands running thru her hair.

"I'm infected." I nodded my head slowly, as the guys past by me.

Rick standing by Lori's side, Glenn finding Maggie. Shane was hovering off to the side, the blade in his hand twirling slightly but just enough so I could still see it. Daryl was still behind me, but I turned and pushed him away. His mind was clouded. He was thinking about saving me rather then himself, and it softened him. I knew letting my guard down around him was the worst mistake I'd ever made. It jeopardized Daryl because he wasn't focused on himself anymore.

"Why isn't she a walker then?" Peering around the group, Carl was standing there with Sophia behind him.

"She's immune, must be." This time Hershel spoke up as he slowly made his way to me.

"Unfortunately I'm not immune." I exhaled a deep breath, as I watched Hershel fiddling with his doctors bag. "I'm still infected and I'm still dangerous to be around."

"Ye ain't dangerous." Daryl's voice was hard and cold. It reminded me of the man he was before we let our guards down.

Rolling my eyes, I shoved my hands on my hips. "Tell me this? If I get hurt, and I'm bleeding what's going to happen?" I asked, looking not only at Daryl but at everyone. "If my blood gets on any one of you, what's gonna happen?" My voice picked up, getting angry. When I heard nothing but silence I knew the answer. "That's what I thought."

"Then what do we do?" Maggie asked, looking between all of us as she gripped Glenn's hand tighter. Unsure of what the options were.

"Keep her locked up, or...." Ricks voice trailed off as his eyes dropped to the ground.

"Or I leave." I offered, sliding my hands into my pockets. "I was planning on leaving anyways, guess now is a good a time as any." Shrugging my shoulders, I let my gaze set on Daryl's.

He looked about ready to rip someone's head off. His lips pulled into a hard line, his eyes gazing at me as if I was death itself. He was pissed at me, but I'd rather have him alive and pissed off then dead and happy.

"You'd just leave? No questions asked?" Shane spoke up, his tone skeptical.

"I'd feel safer if she was gone. No offense Hadley but you are a walking time bomb, and I'm sure I just don't speak for myself." Andrea spoke up, voicing her opinion.

"The bitch is better gone. Look what she's dragged us into." Merle stated from across the room. Which earned him an angry glance from Daryl.

"Listen to ye, throwing her under a bus after everything she did." Daryl shouted. "If it ain't for her, we'd be dead Rick and ye know it."

"Why don't ye shut it baby brother. She's got ye soft." Merle chuckled which only was pissing Daryl off more.

Even though leaving wasn't something I wanted to do, I had to do it. In the end I knew it was for the best. Plus I needed to end things between Daryl and Merle or they'd end up killing each other.