Chapter 22

Dropping my head I stared at the ground, watching the tip of my boot knocking a small rock back and forth. Usually I would have had some smart ass comment, and would have jumped right into another massive argument with Daryl. But I didn't feel like anything that I'd say would make a difference at this point. Not to mention, Rick would probably had some questions regarding the ID Daryl had thrown at me earlier.

"Care to tell me what this is?" Ricks voice woke me from my thoughts.

Feeling Shane's grip on me tighten, I slowly looked up at Rick. His hand was holding my ID card out to me. What was I going to say? I already lied to them so many times about my past, why would they even believe the truth.

"Give that to me." Shane grunted, reaching over me and grabbing the card.

I couldn't see his face but judging by the silence he was busy reading. Letting the words echo in his thoughts as he realized what I really was. To him I was already a monster, given the fact I was infected. Now, this just gave him a bigger reason to treat me like one of those rotting corpses.

"Hadley, I'm not going to ask you again." Feeling Ricks eyes burning into mine, I let out a sigh.

"She doesn't need to explain. Look at it Rick, she worked for the fucking government." Shane yelled, throwing the card back in Ricks direction.

"Please...." Swallowing the growing lump in my throat I spoke up. Realizing that I had to fess up, and come clean. "I'll explain, but I want to explain to everyone." Running my free hand through my hair, I could tell Rick and Shane were having a silent argument.

Knowing Shane he would want me hog tied, thrown off the guard tower and dangling in front of a bunch of walkers. Which he could then slowly lower me down to my impending death when he felt like it. Sadly, that situation would probably be the easiest death I'd endure at Shane's hands.

Rick on the other hand was more forgiving. But compared to the man I first encountered, he has changed significantly. Lets just say the old Rick has left a long time ago, and hasn't been back since. Over the months and the whole situation with the governor, Rick has slowly let his caring side slip away. He wasn't a guy that was eager to give people second chances anymore, because truthfully many people didn't deserve them. Especially not myself.

"Fine." Rick finally spoke up. "Shane go get everyone, tell them we need a meeting." He muttered as he gently rubbed the back of his neck.

"Whatever man." Forcefully letting go, he started to storm off towards the prison. But before he got to far he turned around, his hands running down his face before looking at Rick. "I told you this was going to blow up in your face, but did you listen? No, you never do." Shane spat before turning back around and heading off.

Giving Shane a few minutes head start, I kept my eyes ahead of me. I really wasn't looking at anything in particular, I was more concerned with my thoughts. Wording what I was going to tell everyone over and over again, but no matter how many times I said it to myself it never came out right.

"Why didn't you say anything Hadley?" Ricks calming voice woke me from my thoughts again, feeling his hand wrap around my upper arm.

As he slowly lead us back to the prison I thought about his question. Why didn't I say anything? Well Rick the last time I did, I was mauled, beaten and left for dead. Sorry if it didn't make sense to put myself at risk, especially when you were the one who dragged me back to the god forsaken prison! But that was a bit unnecessary so I settled with a simple straight forward answer.

"Why? So you could tie me up and beat the living shit out of me, like everyone else." Shaking my head slowly, I kept quiet after that.

I didn't feel like explaining myself to Rick, then having to explain to myself to everyone over again.