Chapter 18

The last few weeks have been extremely challenging. I didn't figure that leaving would be that big of a problem. But it was...

My skills to fend for myself had gotten a tad bit rusty over the couple months I spent with Ricks group. Mainly because I wasn't fighting to survive twenty four seven in the prison. I spent my time recouping from injuries, helping out the group or held in captive in a cell by my nemesis. Never once did I actually have to hunt or make shelter to keep myself alive.

With those fences enclosing us, protecting us all day and all night you forget how dangerous walkers can be. Plus, despite me being infected they still wanted to get their rotting hands on me and rip into what was left of my body.

You know, you figure if you're infected they wouldn't want to eat one of their own. Wrong, anything still breathing was decent enough for them. That logic totally contradicted all major zombie movies that I had seen. But this was real life, not Hollywood acting.

Heaving a small sigh, I brought myself out of my thoughts. As I stood up from the tree I was slumped against.

"You're just leading us in circles Daryl!" Hearing a voice, my head turned trying to pin point the location. My heart was beating fast just at the mention of Daryl's name. So knowing he was so close was freaking me out.

"Fine, go back! I don't need ye!" It was clear even from the distance he was pissed off. "I don't want ye here anyways."

"We've been following tracks for days Daryl, face it she's gone." Standing there a small smile pulled at the corner of my lips, just hearing Glenn's voice. He was the voice of reason, which was a great quality.

"Just go." Daryl spat once more, and that's when I saw the bushes across the way start rustling.

"Fuck." I quietly cursed myself, as I spun on my heels and high tailed it out of there.

Daryl was good at tracking no doubt, so I had to step up my game. I was slipping and one of these times Daryl was gonna come stumbling upon my small little camp.

My eyes watched the ground as I headed back to my camp, making sure I didn't leave any real noticeable tracks. Because behind me, off in the distance I could hear Daryl swearing.

It hurt me to see him struggling, to see him trying to find me. There wasn't anything that I wouldn't want more than for Daryl to find me and we could live happily ever after. But this isn't a fairy tail, this is life. A life more like a fucking nightmare, but a life. One that you never wake up from. One where you have to watch the only man you love, tracking you down to try and find you. But you can't do anything to help him.

Finally making it back to camp, I noticed the sun starting to set in the distance. The bright red color illuminating the woods. I was grateful because it means that Daryl would be heading back to the prison soon. He wouldn't chance spending the night out here and getting caught by a horde of walkers.

Sitting down on one of the logs I had dragged over in front of my small fire pit, I tried restarting it. Using two sticks I twirled them together just until smoke started to come from the leaves I had placed down. Once the smoke started, I pulled the sticks away and gently blew on the hot embers. Trying to keep the fire low.

Anything over that, would defiantly get a walkers attention in the darkness of the night.

"How did I mange by myself for a year?" I questioned myself, as I wandered away from my small fire and over to my tent. Thankfully I found one on my run into the city for a few supplies. If I didn't, I'd still be sleeping in a tree somewhere. Let me tell you, that's not comfortable.

"I don't know? How did ye?" Quickly turning around, I saw Daryl standing there. His bow pointed at me, a scowl still across his face.

"Great." Rolling my eyes, I slapped my thigh. "You found me." I breathed out.