Chapter 21

"Hadley?" The voice questioned, as it came closer.

Feeling the person gently grab onto my ankle turning me, I was just glad it was one person I wanted to see.

"Martinez." A small chuckle left my lips as I gazed at the upside down figure. "Thank god, I thought you were.... You know what never mind." I was rambling and judging by his facial expression he was quite amused.

"Well I thought you were the deer I've been tracking for the last couple days." As he spoke to me I watched as he pulled a knife from his jean pocket. "Kinda disappointed it was you though, no offense." He chuckled as he put the knife up against the rope and started to cut it.

"None taken." With one last swipe of the blade I landed flat on my back. My eyes looking up into the sky, and then up to Martinez. Who had a smirk tugging at his lips.

Extending a hand out to me I graciously took hold of it and pulled myself to my feet. Once I was standing I brushed off the dirt and leaves that were on my pants, before pushing past Martinez to make my way over to my machete.

Leaning down I swiftly picked it up before tuning to face him.

"What happened to you? I figured I'd never see hide nor hair of you after that stunt you pulled in town." He mumbled as he placed the knife back into his pocket.

"What happened?" I raised a brow, looking at him quizzically. Like he doesn't know? He's the governors right hand man, I'm sure he had some idea what happened the other day. "You're shitting me right?"

When Martinez didn't answer me, I just shook my head. Letting my hands slide my weapon into my belt loop, before gazing up at him again.

"You know what he did." I bluntly stated, making my way closer to him. "You know he fucking attacked the prison."

"I didn't know that he was going to shoot at you!" He angrily yelled, trying to shift the blame off himself.

"What did you think Martinez? That he was coming to invite us to lunch? After what I did?" My voice cracked as my hands went in the air emphasizing my words.

"I was following orders Hadley. Now get going, before the governor ventures out here and sees you." His hands shoed me off in the opposite direction. But I wasn't through with him yet. Mainly because there was one important question I hadn't asked yet.

"If you knew where we were, why did you lead him to us?"I spat, turning around and shoving my hands against his strong shoulders. But he barely moved back a few inches, his boots planted firmly to the ground. "You... You said you wouldn't do this to people Martinez. That you are better then that pathetic excuse of a man. Well guess what you could have made the decision not to tell him."

Pulling his hat around so the brim wasn't in his eyes, he glared at me. His nostrils were flaring and his fist was clenched at his side. I knew he wasn't enjoying this back lash. But he was just as much to blame as the governor.

"I didn't tell him." He finally gritted as he stepped closer to me, his hand quickly wrapping around my arm pulling me even closer. "That redneck from your camp did."

Redneck? What in the hell is he talking about?

Judging by the amused smile on his face, he knew I had no clue what he was talking about. Finally he let go of me, shoving my body away.

"Maybe you should check your loyalties. That hick has been coming and going for the past month. Talking about how him and his brother could get the governor into the prison." Martinez stated as if it was the most common thing in the world.