Chapter 9

I always expected my first kiss to be some monumentous moment. Where when I kissed the man of my dreams I would feel this spark between us. Instantly letting me know that we were meant for each other. I guess you could say those romantic, girly movies steered me wrong for twenty-two years.

Besides that, I always expected my first kiss to happen on a date of some sort. Dinner? A movie? I wasn't picky. The last place I expected it was standing in the middle of a prison yard. Dead bodies no more then five feet away. Walkers shoving their hands threw a chain link fence, groping for us.

I had my eyes held closed as his lips moved against mine. Finally pulling away from me I opened my eyes to see a smirk pull across his face but it quickly faded. Like it never even happened.

Leaning over he grabbed his crossbow from the ground. Stopping he looked at me once again before pushing past me. Storming off he headed back to the prison.

What was that about? He just told me he wouldn't leave, and what's he do? Leave. Maybe he changed his mind. If he did, it's the smartest move he's made yet. Even though it hurt watching him walk away like that it was probably for the best. I mean who would want to die over me? Even I wouldn't and that's saying something.

Ignoring the deep hurt in my chest, I walked back to the prison. I needed to find something to occupy my time and keep my mind off Daryl. Or better yet, something that would keep Daryl out of my path for awhile.

So that's what I did, I kept my head down doing chores the rest of the day. I spent the afternoon with Lori helping her cook lunch, which was actually a great distraction. Well until she called everyone in for lunch, so I high tailed it out before Daryl showed up.

Darting down the hallway between cell block A and C I looked for something else to do. Thats when I found Carol. She was washing some laundry on a old wash board. Humming to herself quietly as she worked.

"Mind if I help?" I asked stepping into the room trying not to startle her.

"No not at all." She smiled and nodded to a bucket that was over turned.

Sitting down on top of the bucket I smiled at her. She seemed to be happy, doing this small task. Not that I'd find doing laundry entertaining, but it does keep your mind off things.

Grabbing hold of a dirty pair of jeans I handed it to her.

"This is nothing like my washer back home, but it does the trick." She chuckled, sliding the pants against the grooved metal board.

"I know what you mean, I haven't had a decent pair of clean clothes in awhile. But you do wonders with this thing." I laughed as I handed her another pair of pants.

"Well thank you." She smiled, soaping up the pants before running it on the washboard again. "It's nice to get a little thank you now and then."

"No problem Carol, you deserve much more then a thank you." After that we fell into silences. Not like either of us minded.

Falling into a rhythm Carol and I worked on the rest of the laundry. I passed her the clothes, she'd wash them and hand them back to me so I could hang them up.

"How are things with Daryl?" She asked, not taking her eyes from her work.

"Um.." I was taken aback by her words. Does everyone know I like Daryl. Or is there some flashing sign above my head that says idiot in love.

"Oh c'mon we all know there's something between you two." She gave a smile before letting the shirt she was holding fall back into the water. Water splashing all over the ground.