Chapter 11

I paced back and forth in front of the chain link fence as if I were a caged animal. Waiting for someone to free me from my miserable life.

I spent all night out here, letting my eyes adjust to the darkened sky. Given the fact the fire that was burning was almost gone. I watched for anything, and listened for any noise. But there was nothing out there.

If they were coming back they would have been here by now, and they weren't.

"Fuck!" I shouted, kicking the fence as hard as I could. Releasing my pent up anger over this stupid situation.

"They still ain't back yet?" Turning, I saw Hershel. He was hobbling down the road with his crutches. My backpack slung over his shoulder. Usually I would have been nervous about someone having my bag, but under the circumstances I really didn't care.

"No..." I mumbled. "Does Lori know?" I asked, reaching for my bag. Without hesitation Hershel handed it over to me.

"Yeah, she's worried sick in there. Doesn't help the baby one bit." He stated giving me my reason to head out.

"Then I'm going to go look for them." Bending down I unzipped my bag and started searching. I could feel Hershel's eyes on me as I dug through the clothes I had stashed in there.

Finally finding my jacket, I pulled it out and slid it on. The black leather jacket was all I had for protection, It worked too. It was thick enough if a walker bit down it didn't puncture through to the skin. Don't ask how I know, it took multiple trial an errors.

"But." He started, but I raised my hand digging a knife out of the jacket pocket. It was a hunting knife, long and serrated. Perfect for making quick silent kills.

"I'm going, and its final." I shook my head and pulled my bag onto my back, tightening the straps.

"I'll go with you." Hearing another voice I rolled my eyes. These people are to willing to go out and die. Either they were stupid or forgot how dangerous it actually is to live out behind these fences.

"Can you shoot?" I asked, seeing Andrea with a rifle in her hands. Not the best short range gun, but that's her business.

"Course I can shoot." She snottily replied, like it was obvious to me that she could use a gun.

"A moving target?" I raised my eyebrow questioning her. Enjoying the sight of her anger. Her buttons were so easily pushed. Which made it so fun making her mad, cause frankly she couldn't even hurt a fly, let alone me.

"Yes!" Her voice raising getting more pissed at me.

"Yeah, just be quiet and stay behind me. " I gave a silent sigh, running a hand down my face. "Hershel tell someone to stay down here and watch the gate, in case they come back." Giving Hershel my request I saw him nodded his head. Grabbing my cross bow from the ground I slung it onto my back as I opened the gate.

Once I stepped into the unprotected yard, I waited for Andrea to follow suit before closing the gate.

Looking at Hershel I gave a slight wave before turning on my heel and taking off into the night.

My feet hit the ground at an even pace. My heart beat quickening as I jumped over the road and down into a ditch. The grass was high, and it was making things more difficult then I expected. It also didn't help that Andrea was falling behind, my pace to fast for her.

"Slow down Hadley." She whispered from behind me. Her voice horse as she tried to catch her breath.

"We don't have all day Andrea." I quietly yelled back at her, keeping the pace I was going at. She didn't have to come with me, so I wasn't slowing down one bit.