Chapter 23

Over to the right is the song that inspired this chapter.

------------------------

Feeling a dull ache in my head my eyes groggily opened. My vision was blurry as I looked about the tiny gray room. Trying to remember what actually happened.

Quickly sitting up, a small cry left my lips as sharp pains shot up all along my arm. Breathing out shakily, I gazed down seeing numerous IV needles protruding from both of my forearms. All of them had small plastic tubbing trailing out of the ends, so I let my eyes follow the line up to where several bags hung. Some contain mysterious clear liquid and others containing a thicker reddish substance.

"Ah, you're awake." Hearing a quiet voice I turned my attention in the direction it came from. "I was starting to think you were never going to wake up."

Closing my eyes I reopened them fast trying to get my vision back to normal. As I opened them a small man with glass was standing before me. His hand fidgeting as he reached for something in his pocket.

"What are you doing?" My eyes glared as he pulled out a small black book. Opening it up he started to scribble something down before he even looked up at me.

"I'm just running tests, ordered by the governor." He smiled before going back to writing.

Laying back against the bed, I relaxed my arms. The needles tugging at my skin every time I moved.

"No, what are you writing?" I asked, getting a bit snippy. My voice hoarse as I spoke.

"Oh." He readily responded as he slipped the book back into his pocket. "I'm just keeping notes on your progress. Merle told me you were bit a couple months ago."

"Did he now." I stated as I let my eyes wander around the room. Seeing a large amount of medical supplies laying about.

But from what I could see there was nothing in this space that could actually be used to figure out some cure. The most they had was a heart monitor, which would be useless if I was a member of the walking dead.

"I'm terribly sorry." Shaking his head, he quickly stretched his arm out. His hand held out for me to shake. "I'm Milton."

Looking down I shook my wrist about, showing him that I was cuffed and couldn't make any movements. Not like I'd shake his hand anyways.

"Precaution?" I smirked, feeling kind of cocky. I mean, they were worried enough to have me cuffed to the bed. I must posse as some kind of a threat.

"Governors orders, he was afraid you'd escape." Using his hand he fixed his glasses before turning around and making his way towards a workbench. "But I think you're quite calm though." A dry chuckle left his lips as his head turned in my direction before focusing back on his work.

Old Hadley probably would have pulled the needles from my arms and used them as some kind of weapon. I'd pick the lock on the cuffs then make my way over to Milton. Who I probably would have stabbed to death. Then made my exit. But now I could careless. I didn't even make an attempt to escape my restraints. Really there was no point, I had nothing left to live for.

Sighing to myself I closed my eyes and tried to remember happier times. I tried to remember anything that would make my mind drift away from reality. But every time I let my mind wander I'd see Daryl. I'd see him standing in front of me, his lips pulled into his signature smirk as if he was scolding me for something I shouldn't be doing.

Just seeing him in my mind tears threatened to escape. So I quickly tried to change my thoughts, as I fought with myself, holding myself back.

But the only other thing that came to my mind were some old lyrics. They were lyrics that I used to listen to in bed as I tried to sleep. They really didn't make sense to me back them, but surprisingly they made perfect sense now.