Chapter 7

I stayed up in my cell for the next couple days. Hershel said it was best if I kept off my leg for the time being. He didn't want me taking a chance and injuring myself further.

Over those days, I didn't see Daryl once. His brother passed by on several occasions. His face pulled up into a smirk as he walked by giving a creepy little wave. He never stepped foot in my cell though.

I got to know Carol better, she brought me food every night. Instead of the disgusting food like I had the first day, it was usually rice and some canned vegetables. A drastic improvement.

She sat and talked to me while I ate. She told me about her daughter, Sophia, and how she got separated from the group. I guess it wasn't bad in the long run because they found Hershel and everyone. Carol went on to tell me how Daryl searched everyday, dusk to dawn looking for her. Lets just say, it peeked my interest to find out how caring he could be. Looking for some kid who wasn't even his, I didn't except to hear that...

I was pleasantly surprised by the stories ending. I expected an outcome where Sophia ended up a walker, or that they never found her. But they did find her, and the found her alive. Well, Daryl found her alive.

Shaking my head I regrouped my thoughts getting myself out of the clouds. I seemed to be there a lot of the time lately. It's either that or watch the ceiling all day long. I don't know about you but I'd rather live in my clouds then down in reality.

Shifting the covers off myself I gazed down at my bandaged leg. The white gauze was no longer red with blood, telling me I stopped bleeding and there was no significant swelling. Which in my mind means I'm perfectly fine again.

Deciding against Hershel's better judgement I pushed myself to my feet. I was no use to them hurt and the faster I could recover the better. It was painful at first, but after a couple steps the pain subsided to a dull ache. Something easily pushed to the back of your mind and ignored.

Wandering out of my cell and down the stairs I made my way over to some of the group.

"Hey didn't Hershel tell you to stay off that leg." I felt a hand fall on my shoulder. Looking up I saw Rick smiling down at me.

"I've been off it three days, that's more then enough time. Besides I was starting to go crazy in there." I gave a small chuckle.

Rick just shook his head and let out a laugh. "You sound just like me. Never willing to sit around and do nothing. Well now that you're up, want to see the yard? Most of the group is at target practice now."

"Target practice?" A huge smile pulled across my face. I never had a target practice, generally it's to dangerous because walkers would hear the shot. The only practice I had was in dangerous, life threatening situations.

"Don't sound to excited." He chuckled as he led me out of the prison.

The sun was high in the sky, blinding my eyes as I stepped outside. Blinking several times I continued my way down the road with Rick.

That's when I heard it. The most glorious of all noises. Multiple gun shots! I know that might sound weird but hey! I like guns and I love to shoot them especially when I'm not trying to be eaten.

Rick must have noticed my smile because he pushed me forward. I saw almost everyone down there practicing. Carol, Carl, Andrea, and Shane.... Before I even made it half way to the group Shane turned and saw me. His eyes glaring at me as if I was the one who was doing something wrong.

Tapping Andreas shoulder, he signaled he was going to leave. She gave a nod and continued to fire at a few cans they placed on a log a couple yards away.