eleutheromania

Eleutheromania
(n.) A great desire for or obsession with freedom.

...

Chapter 79

___________

                The table was dirty and greasy which took away any bit of appetite I had, not that I was interested to eat these oil soaked hash browns anyway. I took an angry sip of my steaming hot coffee, the liquid burned my insides as it went down, before looking out of the diner window. My eyes weren't searching for something specific. The vipers are still out here and Carlos only has one bullet left in his gun. My eyes searched to spot any of them here but I don't think I'm prepared to face them.

So I looked back at where Carlos went to pay the bill but ended up making sweet conversation with the waitress. He's pissing me off. He never had any good intentions, did he?

He wanted me, Atlas's competition, gone so he could rule the city along with him. He wanted power and he wanted his obstacles removed. If not, why is he so relaxed?

I sneakily took the fork and butter knife that was left untouched from my plate and slipped them inside my jacket. Taking another last sip of my coffee, I slipped out of the booth and called out his name.

"I'll be waiting outside." I informed him before walking away and leaving the diner. I waited under the trees for a few minutes before Carlos made his way out.

"So I have a plan. We need to get to the part of the town which is the busiest. We need to do some shopping, to disguise ourselves. Then we can take the bus to Jacksonville which leaves in the afternoon."

"Do we have enough money to buy clothes?"

"I still have my card on me. And not just clothes Tara, hair dye, sunglasses and stuff like that."

"I'm not dyeing my fucking hair!"

"Well I'm not exactly fucking ecstatic about it either but I'm willing to do whatever I have to do survive. This is not even the worst thing I did."

"I fucking hate you!" I spat before striding off. Carlos grumpily walked behind me, deciding to keep his mouth shut. We were running for our lives yesterday but he remembered to keep his fucking card on him, not even his bike keys. Now he wants to change how I look so if dad sends someone after us they can't easily spot me?

I gulped. It couldn't be true, right? I'm just overthinking. I turned to towards Carlos hesitantly and coughed. He turned his eyes on me and wiggled his eyebrows.

"I didn't mean to be so rude." I spoke. He gave me a half smile. "I'm used to it."

I buried my hands deep in my pocket as we walked side by side. "What's the worst that you had to do?"

"Huh?"

"What's the worst that you have done to survive?" I repeated my question. Carlos spoke up after a minute long of silence. "It's a tie between spending the entire night in a lake with only my head above the surface and spend two days tied up in the back of a car."

I frowned, slowly nodding to myself. "The car one has to be worst."

"A snake bit me in the lake and I couldn't do anything about it for two hours or so."

I gasped. "How come you're alive?"

Carlos laughed as he lit up his cigarette. "It wasn't poisonous. Just bled a lot."

I jumped slightly when we heard the horn blaring behind us and Carlos was quick to pull me behind him as the Convertible SUV stopped right next to us. Inside was an elderly white man, his beard blonde and his hat read "fish fear me women want me" and I almost made retching face.