halcyon

Halcyon
(adj.) Calm and peaceful; happy.

...

Chapter 69

_____________

Atlas pushed the door open to Jerry's shack and the dogs were all asleep. Jerry must've heard us as he emerged through the door. He waved at us. "Come in, come in. I just got off call with Xander and he... What is she doing here?" He glared at me. What an asshole!

"Come on now Jerry, don't be so sweet. I almost thought you liked me." I gave him a tight lipped smile. He failed to see what a great both I can be.

"She's one of us." Zach spoke up and everyone walked into the back room. There was a dirty looking mattress on the floor and a torn couch. On the other wall we're some explicit posters. Girls in bikinis and some even naked.

"What's that smell?" Atlas scrunched up his face. Jerry shrugged as he started slid another wall into....

I watched him slide open a door that I thought was a wall? Adrian noticed my confusion. "What I wanted to tell you the other day was that we have a secret passage to our warehouse through his hut." Adrian placed a hand on my back and motioned next to follow him. He walked ahead of me, holding my hand in his as we walked into the secret room behind Jerry's wall.

"Why a secret passage to the warehouse?" I questioned. The secret passage suddenly lit up, creating a single route. We continued down the passage for a minute before we got to another door.

"To hide all our shipments. So that Vipers can never get to them." Atlas answered me. Adrian slid open another door, and what unfolded behind the door had me shocked.

The room was filled with large wooden boxes, piled up neatly and nothing looked out of order. With my mouth hung open, I walked inside the warehouse. My curious eyes were taking it all in. Left or right, wherever I looked there were boxes. And boxes.

"What's in here?" I asked them.

"Cocaine, Cheese, Vodka and guns." Adrian simply said those words and walked to stand next to me. I had to do a double take.

"Guns?"

Adrian nodded. "We are the most feared gang in Florida, we must be well equipped. So we have all the extra weapons anyone could ask for."

"But Adrian! Guns!" I was having a hard time dealing with the truth. The answer was really simple, guns were almost like a necessity in their line of profession.

"Chill Tara! I never shot anyone. We don't really have to use them." He wrapped his arms around me.

"But then what's the point?"

"See, there is history you don't know. Our history, Viper's history. Why we do what we do. Why exactly they became our rivals. As Adrian said, we don't use them. We never had to. But no one knows when we might have to." Atlas spoke calmly.

"We all have one under our beds. Kept there for our own safety. We'd never strike first. But if they are stupid enough to attack us, we will strike back. With full force. So why not stay ahead a few steps?" He cocked an eyebrow up. I shook my head in disbelief.

"Was there one under my bed too?" I asked him.

"No. But I can arrange that if you want." He winked and started walking with Zach. They were inspecting few boxes in a corner.