akrasia

Akrasia
(n.) Lack of self control.

...

Chapter 37

_________________

In my case, fate always preferred playing it crazy. Take my dad situation for example. He doesn't even know I exist. Why would he care anyway? I used to be a single sperm living in his balls that he let out one drunken night without thinking much and Boom! Here I am. Crazy, right?

"You can stop walking now." Adrian said. I didn't bother looking at him. He had followed me out of the cafeteria and silently followed me to the third floor. I didn't stop though.

Keeping my head low, I kept thinking about what to say to him. I should've thought this through.

His hand grabbed my arm and turned me around swiftly. "My theory, it was very stupid. And as far as my imagination goes, it can never get so... deep. It's crazy really, the gangs and tattoos. I'm sorry for the two members you lost in 2015. Was it really the vipers who killed them?"

He didn't say anything. He just stared at me. I stared right back.

"Yes. Vipers." He replied.

"That sucks. So you two are sworn enemies? The gang wars in our city are pretty.... intense." I say.

"They are deadly."

"Vipers?"

"Gang wars."

I nod awkwardly. "You're right. Wouldn't wanna get caught in the middle of these wars." I let out a laugh. Awkward. I noticed a storm passing through his calm and soft hazel eyes.

"You seem pretty cool about it." He says. "I mean, let me clarify, I'm in a gang. A deadly gang that is feared all across Florida. Not just this city."

I nod. I knew that. What I didn't know was why is he so hell bent on telling me his secrets? Sure I was the one who started harassing him first regarding the tattoos, but he could easily hide things from me and I wouldn't have an idea.

"But why do you want me to know about your way of living?" I ask.

"Because," He takes one step towards me, "Its important for you to know."

"Why?" Oh I was so confused right now! Adrian shrugs. "If we're gonna hang out together, I want you to know who I really am. What's the point of secrets?"

I nod. So we're still cool? And we're still hanging out together?

"Oh and Tyler? He's with you right?" I ask. He nods. "He's my partner." I nod back. I tried not to cringe at how weird our conversation really was. I look around the floor, looking for something to tell him.

"Tara?" Adrian calls out.

"Hm?" I meet his intense gaze.

"Tell me how you really feel about this." He said, making me inhale sharply.

"I'm terrified." I answer.

"Yeah right." He nods and turns around. I stand in shock as he walks away. Realization hit me like a bucket of cold water a second later.

"Hold up!" I run after him. I stand in front of him, not leaving much space between us. "This, all of this, it's happening too quick, okay? Till yesterday I had zero clue about all the gang wars happening in our city, and to know that you are part of one, terrifies me. What else did you expect? To throw around confetti and sing songs about you?"