marcid

Marcid
(adj.) withered; incredibly exhausted.

...

Chapter 83

_____________

                   The ringing of my phone woke me up from my nap. It was a peaceful nap actually. The type where you knock yourself out from crying too much. I had two reasons to cry. One being missing my boyfriend's three hundred and forty third call. The second is my graduation is in a month away and I got accepted into two universities, both miles away from Jacksonville. With a long whine, I stretched on my bed. My eyes felt heavy as I searched for my blaring phone and answered the call.

"Tara?"

"Mum." I smiled, thinking she called to congratulate me. All I heard was a deep sigh.

"You told me the therapy session went well."

"Yes it did, I'm meeting her for the second session tomorrow." I replied back, as brightly as I could on an empty stomach. There was another sigh, this one sounding more defeated. "Then why does she quoted you saying, all this cocaine in our city and your nose is in my business."

I fell silent.

"Tara, did you lie to me?"

"She was getting too nosy." I replied honestly. Mum hums. "How so? Did she ask something too personal?"

I listened to the quickened thumping of my heart for a moment, staring up at the ceiling. "She asked me if I blamed you, for everything."

And an agonizing silence followed. Before I could hear her shaky voice on the other side. "D-Do you?"

Tears blurred my vision. "No." My voice broke. "Never."

"It's okay love, you don't have to see her again. I'll deal with her." Mom spoke and I had to do a double take. No one in their right senses wanted to be dealt with Teresa Summer. But I didn't object and hung up. A knock sounded on my door and Shawn peeked his head.

"Good morning, your lover boy visited again." He spoke cheerfully. Not this motherfucker enjoying my situation. I pulled my knees to my chest. "And what did you say?"

"I said you were out, I don't know where."

I smiled. "Thank you very much."

Shawn sighed heavily. "Look, I've always hated that guy. Wanted to beat the shit out of him every time I saw him around you. But, that fucker looks genuinely upset. And you know, I'm not the type to pity Adrian. It's been four days. Give him a chance, or just look at him for a moment. He looks seconds away from ending his shit."

"I don't know, what am I supposed to say to him? Sorry for ghosting you because every time I look at you I see a murderer." I spoke. Shawn's face twisted in confusion. "Definitely not that. But you said that night, when all the violence happened, he was with you. So technically, he isn't a murderer."

I rolled my eyes. I've seen enough in this lifetime, but Shawn defending Adrian still surprised me. "He knew what was happening."

Shawn nodded.

"And I feel like a fucking fool in front of them, a dumb naive bitch. I'll be gone in a month, probably New York. I would very much like to spend that one month without facing them."

Shawn couldn't help but laugh. I sounded ridiculous, of course. "Funny of you to say that, while you're still breathing in Alexander's city. He could break down the front door and come in any moment he wanted to. He's just respecting his daughter's choice to avoid him."